Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell and Lenovo thinkpad
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have five computers linked to my HP Envy 4520 printer and all but two print in color all of a sudden. They all used to print in color, but now my Windows 10 Lenovo thinkpad laptop and my Windows 10 PC from Dell no longer do. I've had other issues with the printer not wanting to print at all, being offline, etc, but I have seemed to resolve those issues for now. I have followed previous thread instructions to delete/remove HP software, folders, devices, etc and reinstall the software and device to no avail. This has not fixed the issue. I just printed a Google document in color from my PC, then checked to see if it would print a Word document in color. It did not. I then uploaded the same word doc to Google drive and tried to print it in color from Google and it did not print in color. I can't print anything in color from my laptop. I also keep getting error messages when a print job is first sent, but it ultimately will resolve itself. I have never had these issues with this printer until now. My laptop was reimaged at work as it is a county provided laptop for teachers, but this should not be the issue. I had to reinstall the printer and did so like I previously stated. I have even deleted it and started over multiple times. What am I missing? This should not be this hard.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @KimSheffield

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

Also try, connecting the printer to the TCP/IP port,

follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay in my own reply. As for your suggestions, I have tried all of that multiple times still to know avail. But I was willing to try it again, so I did everything again and now I am getting a unsuccessful network installation error message. My router is on and working; my printer is connected to the network; and my computer laptop is connected to the same network. I have re-tried three times to connect my printer to my laptop and it’s not working. This is happened before and I honestly cannot remember what I did to finally get it connected. I’m not happy with my HP printer right now that I have Been happy for years with. I still think it has something to do with my new AT&T gateway BGW 210 router. There’s a communication error somewhere. Before I uninstalled all of the software in the printer just now, this morning I tried to print something from my laptop and received an error message while printing. I then tried to restart the print job in the print queue and it still never printed. Not sure what to do to get my printer installed on my laptop now. I am stuck with the network installation error message now. 
any ideas for how to successfully install it on the network on my laptop. Because my printer is already connected to the network my laptop is connected to the network but they’re not communicating with each other.

HP Recommended

So now after restarting my laptop and  clicking on the software download again, it installed the printer onto my laptop, but now the printer is offline. That's a whole other thread in this HP Community that I've also read about because it has happened on this laptop, my desktop PC and other laptops in the house. Those issues have been fixed on those devices. 

So I have added a static IP address port for the printer, but now it is offline. This is ridiculous. I had the same issues with my desktop and fixed those by following the suggestions you gave but from another poster's thread, but they will not work for my laptop. Still frustrated. It won't even print a test page. Running troubleshooter is no help. I'm going to perform the magic 'restart' that seems to fix a lot of issues and see what happens now...so after restart, it printed the test page in black/white without me prompting it to so that must have been out in cyber world waiting to print. Just sent a color print job and it started printing, but then gave an error message and stopped and spit out the paper with only a shred of printing on the top of the paper. This has happened hundreds of times in recent days while trying to fix this issue. Just sent the same document again and it printed immediately, but only in black/white. So the suggestions you gave did not solve the problem. By the way, this is what happens commonly when I get an error message...it won't print once or twice, then on the next subsequent print job, it will, but still not in color. What next?

HP Recommended

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

HP Recommended

I've already assigned the IP address to the TCP/IP port that was assigned to the printer. That is not working either.

HP Recommended

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Install all the available Windows updates

If it is been a while since you updated your Windows, that is the main reason why Windows says your HP printer driver is unavailable. Here are the steps how to do a Windows Update to install all accessible operating system update.

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

1. Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  2. Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  3. After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.
  4. When Windows completes all its updates, start your computer again and attempt to print a file to check if your printer works.

Then try printing!

Let me know if this helps!

HP Recommended

So there is not any firmware that is applicable to my HP ENvy 4520 for updating. My computer was reimaged at my school and is fully updated on Windows 10. I did send a print job just now to the printer and it printed after giving me a printer error. It fixed itself and printed, but it still did not print in color despite saying color in the drop down box in my Google Drive. This is another issue. I get error messages when sending initial print jobs and it may or may not print and fix itself. My desktop will print in color now and the printer is not assigned to a TCP/IP port by IP address. It prints in color but sometimes gets an error message first then will print afterwards. Its on Windows 10 as well. I still think there's a communication error of some sort with the ATT router and this printer and it's a pretty common error because there are forums all over the internet about this very thing. I don't know that you'll be able to help me. This printer worked flawlessly for years until I changed the router through ATT. Maybe I need to look into getting a new  router or going back to my old one.

HP Recommended

Create a new user account and the

1. Tap the Windows icon.

2. Select Settings.

3. Tap Accounts.

4. Select Family & other users.

5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

9. Tap the Windows icon.

10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

And then  install the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page  and then try printing 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I do not have the authority to add another user to my laptop. It is a work laptop that I use from the county I teach in. Therefore, I cannot add a user. I can, however, add printers, but that's about it.  I've not had this issue before with any printer I have added to my work laptop. Only since changing routers has this become an issue and it was an issue for all five computers in my house at one point, but now this one is the only one left having an issue. I appreciate your continued attempts to help, just so you know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.