Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4524
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My question is, why is the latest version of the 4520 series basic driver on the HP web site faulty? I tried using this latest driver on a new computer, with the result that my printer would not print duplex nor print in colour! My other computers, using older drivers, worked fine with the printer, printing in colour and duplex. Luckily I managed to find the original HP driver CD that came with the printer. When I uninstalled the latest driver and installed this older driver on the new computer, hey presto, the new computer was able to print on the 4524 in colour and duplex.

So why has HP updated the driver to one that doesn't work?

I'm mainly posting this so any other users having the same problem can see that the solution is to disregard HP's latest driver and revert to an old driver. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DCJ77

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the Full Feature Software again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Try printing and keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DCJ77

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the Full Feature Software again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Try printing and keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Many thanks for your response and suggested solution. As it’s working at the moment with an old driver, I think I’ll leave it for now but I’ll take a note of your solution and try it if the problem reoccurs.

Just to clarify, the printer had been working and continued to work fine with my old computer and with other computers in the house. I bought a new HP desktop computer recently and installed the latest basic driver from the HP web site on the new computer and found that I then had the printing problems described when printing from that computer, which went away when I uninstalled that driver and replaced it with an old one. Hence my theory that there’s a problem with the latest basic driver.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

@DCJ77

Thanks for keeping me posted

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Installing the latest driver, as given in the instructions by KrazyToad, does not help.

a) I instead installed the CD version of the software, which I kept happily. OS version is Windows 10 Home, x64, version 1909. The printer is network-connected and has not seen an USB cable. Incidentally, it even works with the long dried-out setup cartridges (I am setting up the printer, making sure that it works, and save the real cartridges for real use).

The working CD software version is 36.0.72.54013, which does duplex printing, dated march 09, 2015. It is still available as CD order (version 36.0).

The working version correctly notices that the Duplex unit is installed, and the Photo tray is not installed.

b) The non-working , with respect to duplex printing, current web version is 40.11, from EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe  or EN4520_Basicx64_1122.exe, dated essentially Apr 24, 2017

The current non-working version claims that the duplex unit is not installed, and says nothing about the Photo tray.

c) I updated the printer firmware to CFP1FN1941AR (1941A), it did not help

d) On Mac OS X , Easy Web Setup does duplexing correctly.

See also https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Envy-4520-no-longer-auto-duplexes/m-p/7360895 for the same issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. My printer is still working OK with the old, CD version of the driver. I can't understand why HP would update a working driver to produce one that doesn't work and then do nothing about it. They could at least revert the online version to the older version.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.