Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 4650 All-In-One Deskjet
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am using a desktop computer with windows 8.1, 64-bit and the HP4650 Deskjet all-in-one.  All updates are current for my computer and the printer.  No software changes, though windows update  did its own scan today, and the problem started since then.  The problem is that when I'm using Microsoft Word, and click to print a copy, instead of printing, the HP 4650 starts scanning!  When I try to use the HP Scan and Fix Doctor, it says there's an error, but no code is given.

One other thing:  In the control panel, when I click on devices and printers, it shows three listings for the 4650.  One says

"FAX - HP Office jet 4650 series."  The second one says "HPE56E7F - HP Office Jet 4650 Series," and this is the one that

has a check beside it.  The third one says "Scan Only - HPE56E7F HP Officejet 4650 series -DO NOT DELETE."  When the print box opens up it too has the second one checked.

Thank you for any help you can give me.  Be blessed.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Viviangel1 

Hello,

This HPE56E7F HP Officejet 4650 series, indicates that your printer is connected to a wireless network.

To begin again on a correct basis, please follow these steps.

In order to resolve this incident, please follow the following procedure:

1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP OfficeJet 4650 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.

Note: If the software uninstall process does not start or an error displays while uninstalling, download Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed from the Microsoft website, and then try uninstalling again.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP OfficeJet 4650 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

1. On the keyboard, tap the Windows and X keys simultaneously.
  2. Click Command prompt (admin), and then Yes.
  3. Type net stop spooler, then press Enter.
  4. Rename the file.
  5. Type net start spooler, then tap Enter.

5. Launch a new the printer installation with the HP OfficeJet 4650 series Full Drivers and Software.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,🤠

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.