Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm a total noob, but somewhat tech-savvy. This is a good printer. However, printer just wouldn't stay connected to the home wifi network. I had to keep on shutting down and restarting it when I wanted to print something if not within that 2 hour window this particular printer gives you. However, this is a simple fix. It's obviously the modem/router. Call your cable service provider (or log into the router if you know IP, username, and password) to change the radio frequency channel to 1, 6, 9 or 11 for 2G. Start with 11. However, your service provider will let you know what channels are compatible with your router. You can see your router's wireless settings usually under "wireless" and "radio". You can see the printer's channel under wireless settings then status. You need your printer's IP address for this. Just enter it into the browser (that is, if it's not in sleep mode, and disconnected).  I spent hours and hours on the phone with HP Support, case numbers, etc, until finally, my service provider mentioned this might be the issue.

I've had no problems since. Printer connected to all devices. When it goes into sleep mode, it's idle and can be awoken even just by checking ink levels - lol.

Also, if connecting by 5G (2G actually better for long-range), the channel choices should be 36, 40, 44, and 48.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bought extender/repeater to boost the signal to the printer. The printer was in the bedroom, which is far from away from the router. Since I couldn't move the printer (we live in an apt), I figured I needed a stronger signal. THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM. Since the printer is capable of 5G, I would set the extender's settings for that. I bought a TP-Link. Cheap and works great for $30. Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1WW638/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I would follow steps above as well. Make sure the channel is set correctly as well.

-Adam

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Update:

Within 24 hours, the printer went offline and had to be turned on and off to print. Looking for another fix.2020-05-11_0927.png

HP Recommended

Bought extender/repeater to boost the signal to the printer. The printer was in the bedroom, which is far from away from the router. Since I couldn't move the printer (we live in an apt), I figured I needed a stronger signal. THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM. Since the printer is capable of 5G, I would set the extender's settings for that. I bought a TP-Link. Cheap and works great for $30. Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1WW638/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I would follow steps above as well. Make sure the channel is set correctly as well.

-Adam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.