Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I've had this printer for about 24mths. Don't recall much trauma setting it up - its wifi only set up to permit multi devices to print.  

A few weeks ago I noticed it wouldn't print and PC setting said 'user intervention required' but neither printer or PC or eithers settings gave any clue as to what that might be.  I resorted to e-mailing printer .

Past few days I have tried to resolve. I have done total clean uninstall (going through precise steps shown in multiple spots on this site), I've reset printer to default, I've reconfigured it to wifi,  I've installed full and fresh suite, I've tried a fixed IP port. I've repeated all that multiple times AND in process had to fill in the daft where it is located name and address as part of installation each time. 

This may have resolved the intervention issue. However, nothing on settings now shows or permits me to print colour. Of course I used to have that option - it is a colour printer.

HP Smart and HP  Print Doctor and PC troubleshooter all say 'working fine'. 

As I say I've gone through everything I can find on this site line by line (including all the command line and regedit voodoo) to clear rubbish before doing a fresh install of full suite. I don't have installation CD any longer. 

I've spent 4 hours on this today. I am now officially at my wits end and considering buying a new non-HP printer simply to avoid further stress.  

Before I do that can anyone offer any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

SO I tried again. HP Doctor found nothing but this time when I told it the test print didn't work the Doctor didn't crash.  It then said try internal test print. And that did work and print colour. Doctor then said it couldn't help and suggested uninstall and install - which I just been through once more. No change. All looks fine but print preferences shows no option to select colour... argh

HP Recommended

@Duane7

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As per my post I had tried everything and that included everything you just posted. 

I'd already gone through root uninstall and reinstall  - multiple times.

Firmware had already been checked and confirmed as latest. 

What appeared to have worked hadn't as despite all looking well the colour option had gone. That is when I got to that point. Most times the reinstall led to an unspecified error from windows stopping any print. Neither HP Doctor or MS troubleshooting worked. Former crashed each time I told it its fix hadn't worked and it hadn't printed a test page. Hence multiple times. 

I also tried multiple times to stop the default full pack installation so I could specify a new port. 

In the end by pure random chance I repeated all those tasks exactly as previous but for reasons I know not was able to finally get the printer working again via a new created port. Ended up spending about 8 hrs over 2 days. None of this was fun nor am I anywhere near the sort of wizard one assumes when reading the advice and guidance offered. This is not a great experience and now in current times when working at home means the printer is more essential.

IF it happens again I will send the printer for recycling any but ANOther brand. 

HP Recommended

@DevonJon

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need nay assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Alternative and perhaps preferred response from the drop down list would be:

• I'm sorry you basically lost a weekend trying to get your printer to work especially at a time such as now. 
  • I'm sorry our 'full fat' drivers are actually 3 years out of date and thus are way out of step with keeping on top of the meddlesome Win 10 updates which, even if perhaps the trigger of your issue, we recognise our printers really should keep working with. 
  • I'm sorry our HP Doctor crashed and offered no solution and that all the workarounds are in no way designed for your average joe who see's a printer as a 'just do it' device and not as a means to spend endless hours wiling away through TCP, ICP, WSD and W T F coding. 

I promise we'll try harder.

Save and use for future. DJ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.