Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 6122
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Need driver for Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit for a Deskjet 6122.  Some posts suggest using the 990c driver, but in late 2016, that driver is no longer available on the HP website.  Any help will be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @DaveSweater, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you need the printer driver for windows 7.

I have checked the records and since the printer is very old. HP do not make drivers for this printer anymore.

However, you can install the drivers using windows update.

Try few steps recommended below.

Follow these steps to install the compatible driver in Windows 7.
Make sure that the USB cable is not connected to the product. If the USB cable is connected to the product, disconnect it.
From the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), and then click Devices and Printers. The Devices and Printers window opens.
Click Add a printer. The Add Printer window opens.
Click Add a local printer.
Click Use an existing port.
Click the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port), and then click Next.
Under Manufacturer in the Install the printer driver window, click HP.
Under Printers, select the appropriate alternate driver for the product (listed in the table in the previous step), and then click Next.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot driver issues.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please expound on the last step, "Under Printers, select the appropriate alternate driver for the product (listed in the table in the previous step), and then click Next."  The deskjet 6122 is not a member of the current HP printer list, and a compatible successor printer deskjet 990c is also no longer listed.  Please explain "listed in the table in the previous step".  Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi! @DaveSweater, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned that the printers are not listed when installing the printer driver.

Please install HP Officejet Pro 8000 as a workaround and check if it works.

Link to download the printer driver.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The suggested alternate driver - the HP Officejet 8000 Pro - seems to work.  Except last page does not eject from the printer, and the on/off light continues to flash.  Printing seems OK, did not test duplexing.

HP Recommended

@DaveSweater, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Since this printer is obsolete HP has stopped making drivers for this printer anymore.

So there is no full feature driver available for this printer.

You have to use the driver which I provided you as an alternate.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. After hours of searching, as of Aug 2017, the best option that I can find as an alternative for the HP 6122 driver is the HP Officejet Pro A809 Series Class Driver.  Once it's done printing, the yellow LED continues to flash as if there might be more, but the printed page looks good.  When I hit the "eject page" / flashing yellow LED, I get the page that prints:  

GET  /DevMgmt/ProductConfigDyn.xml HTTP/1.1

HP Recommended

Ah yes the infamous HP DJ 6122.  There are several drivers that work for this legacy printer in Win 7, 8 and 10, however the one that seems to cause the least issues is the HP DJ 990c driver.   We have a few of these throughout our company, and I even have one at home that is at least 15 years old.  The 990c driver is teh closest match to the HP original, and will even work as a network printer with the appropriate Jet Direct connection and/or as a share.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.