Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem, a printhead missing error message. I thoroughly cleaned everything including the printhead  the space it resides in, the little sponge and every crevice I could get to with a q-tip. You were correct, there was ink everywhere!  Are the "ribbon cables" you refer to that you "slid a rod behind" the pieces that contain the contacts? I am assuming so, as it makes sense to me that if there was any space between them, contact would be compromised, and the printer would think the printhead was not inserted.

However, I tried to adjust both the ribbon on the back (it moved slightly forward when I gently sleeved a paper clip behind it) and the ribbon on the printhead itself, which was mostly adhered to the plastic housing and did not seem to move at all, because it was stuck on. Could the ribbon on the back of the printer (the piece with the metal contacts) be damaged instead of the printhead? And can it be replaced? If anyone has tried this fix and has any suggestions, please reply, as I am still getting an error message despite my efforts.

HP Recommended

Great tip, Angelch 17, thanks!

I'd been through the procedure for cleaning the printhead, after removal, along with cleaning the revealed contacts on the exposed carriage ribbon cable, but still had the, 'printhead missing or...' error.

Your tip guided me toward the printhead carriage ribbon cable, which I eased off its 2 locating pins, bottom left and right.  Then, after very carefully lifting it away from the carriage, I stuck a 1mm piece of double sided tape onto the area where it rested. NOTE: Size of tape was approx. that of a postage stamp, and leave exposed side of tape with its covering on, so it does not stick to the back of the ribbon cable when replaced.

I then reseated the ribbon cable over the 2 locating pins, replaced printhead and ink cartridges and Voila! - everything started operating and still is a year later.

HP Recommended

As a long time HP user myself I can second this. The quality in HP products have gone down considerably over the past few years yet the price points remains the same or even rises. You'd be better off buying almost anything else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.