Thayne_88
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 6510 Black Print Issue

HP Photosmart 6510
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP Photosmart 6510 printer that is having issues printing black.  The only way I can get it to print quality black (letters, images, etc.) is to select Premium Photo Paper and print to standard paper.  If I use the standard paper setting, it prints extremely light, if at all.

I've checked, re-checked, and replaced cartridges, run printhead cleaner, align cartidges, manually cleaned the print heads thoroughly (multiple times), downloaded new drivers, run HP Print Doctor, and tried to check every setting possible.  I've been able to reach the above "solution" of setting the paper type to Photo Paper using two separate computers, so I don't believe it's the OS. 

I'm at a loss as to how to resolve the issue fully.  I'm afraid if I continue to use my "fix", I'll run through ink cartridges very quickly, which everyone knows is not cheap.   I also don't want to have to purchase another printer to replace a unit that isn't two years old and that is used sparingly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thayne

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 828 1,449
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Thayne_88

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 6510 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer will print in black only if you select Premium Photo Paper and print to standard paper.  If you use the standard paper setting, it prints extremely light. I have read your post comprehensively. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

Is the printer able to make a photocopy in black color properly?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please update the printer's firmware via this link. You may restart the printer after the firmware update.

If the issue persists post a firmware update then let us reset the printer. Resetting the printer to factory settings. If the printer is connected to a wireless network then it will disconnect and you will need to later reconfigure it again. I have sent you a private message with the reset steps.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Thayne_88
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MKazi,

Thank you for the recommendations, however, they did not solve the issue.   Do you have any further thoughts or ideas?  I really don't plan on spending any dollars to repair this unit, as it's five or six years old, but if I can get it running again, I can get it to last a little more. 

Let me know.

Thanks!

Wade

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation