Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6962 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I was using generic cartridges in my HP 6962 printer for quite awhile about a year or two, and then just last week I went to change the black cartridge like usual using the same manufacturer . All of a sudden the printer gives me a error message to remove and reinstall all the indicated cartridges (which now is making sure all 4 of the cartridges), reset printer it is correctly installed. Still waiting to hear back from manufacturer but from what it sounds like HP issued a firmware update to stop the use of generic cartridges.

I have tried to reinstall them all but to no avail, I reset printer back to factory settings with no success on getting rid of the cartridge error message. I removed all 4 cartridges and then shut down printer for 20 minutes with power plug removed and then installed the 4 cartridges and restarted printer. This did not help. I then reinstalled some old HP branded cartridges that were almost empty and the printer recognize the HP cartridges. Then I reinstalled the generic cartridges and got the error message to reinstall, etc. So obviously the printer is working properly. 

Can anyone help me.

HP printer does not take any generic cartridges any more. WHY?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jim089

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This document should help you with this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05310148

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.