Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have read the manual, specifically pages 133 - 140 about resetting the printer but the problem is that without the admin password I cannot reset the printer to default.  I have tried turning it off an unplugging the printer for a minute but when I turn it back on, it still recalls the username and password (which I cannot recall).  I have tried the HP SmartPrint app as well to configure the printer but I cannot seem to connect.

The problem started when I changed service providers and then had a new network and password for wifi.  I could not longer get into the admin section to modify the wifi settings.  As I bought the printer some time ago, I can no longer recall the password and like all good security, I did not write it down anywhere.

Please help!

Can someone from the HP technical team please message me directly with steps to reset the printer please?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@canadianbill201

Greetings!

Welcome the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, you are trying to reset the "Embedded Server Password".

Don't worry, I'm here to help! I have sent you a Private Message with the troubleshooting steps specific to your printer.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@canadianbill201

Thanks for replying. Happy to hear that your issue is resolved 🙂 🙂

Please follow the below steps to change the Wi-Fi Direct password -

1) Go to the EWS or the printer's page by entering the printer's IP address in an address or the URL bar of the browser.

2) Expand "Network" and then tap on "Wi-Fi Direct" > Status > "Edit Settings" to change the password.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

To help the community find this post, click here to access our public post and Select - "Accept as solution", have a good day.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just realised that I get a pop up that asks for the admin username and password.  What are the defaults for those?

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita!

I have the same problem with admin password to that printer. Can you help me and send me instruction how to reset this password? Or better show it on the forum?

Regards 🙂

Marek

HP Recommended

Hi @Maski123

I have sent you a private message with the steps to perform a semi-full reset. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you 🙂

When wait for answer I found and have done this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/i-have-forgotten-my-admin-password-for-my-printer-hp/t...

It solved problem (and looks simpler :)).

PS. Why didn't you answer in public message, only in private? Answers in public help more users.

Best regards :):)

Marek

HP Recommended

Hey Asmita!

I have the same issue since 3 weeks and no forums or anything where able to help me! Please, please send me those description how to make a total reset, so I can FINALLY get back to work properly. I'm not able to do ANYTHING with the printer without the user or password....

HP Recommended

@Tobassi

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To help you further with this, let us know the Printer name.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's also an HP OfficeJet Pro 6970

The problem is, that almost all settings are disabled without a user or password, so I can't even do a reset via the display menue...I just wanna do my regular work again ><

Thanks in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.