Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently purchase due to failure of B210 printhead. New  printer uses HP 903 cartriges. Set-up set ran out after several days. The 903 look identical to the HP364 as used in the old printer but they are double the price for some reason.

Purchased a set of HP 903 XL compatible cartridges but these are not recognised by the 6970. Supplier sent a second set saying that they sell thousands of these with no problems. but these are not recognised either. I get a message saying " Cartridge problem", "Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge...."

I had to go out and buy a set of genuine HP 903, not the XL, and the black has run out after three weeks of average use. There others are all low. I don't mind paying the HP prices if i really have to but it would be nice if they put som ink in them!

Has HP found a way of outsmarting the compatible ink suppliers with this printer or is there a problem with the settings on it that i can change?

Don.

Bristol UK

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @vosperd, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting an error ink cartridge problem after replacing with a new cartridge on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are you able to make a copy from your printer?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridge or refilled ink cartridges?

As you mentioned after replacing the ink cartridge with HP 903 XL you are getting ink cartridge problem on your printer.

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges.

If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

I have checked the specifications of your printer and please find the compatible ink cartridges for your printer using this link.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Resetting the printer can resolve an ink cartridge error.

1.Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5.Wait at least 60 seconds.

6.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

   note:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move. 

9.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge issues with your printer.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Mr Robot

Thanks for the reply.

The printer is new and no changes have been  made.

It works fine as expected with HP cartridges.

The set up cartridges ran out after a few days of light use.

A set of cartridges for this printer costs almost double that of my earlier printer, B210, although physically they are identical.

I purchased a set of non HP cartridges as I have done for my previous printer but they were not recognised.

The supplier gave me the same reset instructions and they did not work.

When the error message come  up it will not print at all ar copy.

I therefore purchased a set of genuine HP 903 cartridges but they have run out after just over two weeks of light work.

In the meantime i have receive a replacement set of compatible cartriges but they don't work either.

The supplier says they get no problems as they sell many of these. I guess they are also for other HP printers with which they work ok.

I know HP, and other companies, want users to buy their ink for ovbious reasons.

Possibly HP have added further measures to force users to buy their overpriced ink.

I would happily buy the genuine article if they were prepared to give a fair deal!

Regards

Don

HP Recommended

@vosperd, It's great to hear from you again.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after installing a new set of ink cartridges it worked only for two weeks.

It sounds like it's a hardware issue with your printer not with the ink cartridges.

I would suggest you contact HP phone support and get the service options for your printer.

Link to contact HP.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP sucks used to be best on market now they suck I buy no more

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.