Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed my HP 6978 with a USB connection to my computer (Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535)).  When I go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers> the HP 6978 shows as "Unspecified" instead of "Printers".

I have tried a complete removal of all HP SW and Drivers as well as removal of the HP Printer.  I then went to the HP site and downloaded the Full Driver Package and re-installed the printer.  I have done this a few times and it always come up with the HP 6978 showing in Unspecified.

The Printer seems to work okay, but it shows as Unspecified.

Can someone help me get the printer to show as it should under Printers?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance ...

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chomowitz

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try using the built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.

As it turns out my situation has changed.  To explain, I chose to install my HP6978 using a USB connection because I had some problems with one of my computers running the HP6978 when it was on my home network using the Ethernet connection.  I have a PC and a Laptop that I usually have connected to my network with a wired Ethernet connection with the HP6978 on the Ethernet as well.  After the most recent Windows 10 Pro update, the PC continued to work fine with the networked HP6978, but the Laptop (after the same updates) stopped working.  I had tried a lot of things, but decided to try connecting the HP6978 directly to the PC with the USB connection and then setting it as a shared printer.  I then added the shared HP6978 on my Laptop and that worked.  That's when the HP6978 showed up under"Unspecified" in Control>Devices and Printers.

I decided to reinsall Windows 10 Pro on the Laptop, so I created a Windows 10 Installation Tool USB Drive and used it to reinstall using the "Keep Files and Apps" option.  After the reinstall, I removed all traces of the HP6978 software and drivers and any HP printers that showed.  I then went to the HP Support site and downloaded the current version of the Full HP6978 software and drivers to the Laptop.  After installing the new Full HP6978 SW and Driver package, the HP6978 installed and worked normal again as a network Printer on my ethernet network.

Given that I am working again the way I wanted, I do not need to solve the "Unspecified" listing issue for a USB connected HP6978.

Thank you again for your time and consideration to fix my originally posted issue.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.