Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP 7720 printer print pictures with lot of grains (noise, dots). Used variety of papers, firmware is updated, used copy directly from printer, tried printing with different software from windows, aligned print head, cleaned print head but result is same, see below. I am out of options of how to solve this issue.

20200207_230309.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

@tractable Greetings from the HP Community!

I suggest you Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page, and then evaluate the results.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

3. Swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic Page prints.

Figure : Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

Image: Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic Page

If the Print Quality Diagnostic Page has three test patterns, update the printer firmware, and then print another Print Quality Diagnostic Page.

Figure : Print Quality Diagnostic Page with three test patterns

Print Quality Diagnostic Page with three test patterns

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Update the Printer, and then touch Check for Printer Updates Now.

NOTE: 

To enable the printer to automatically check for updates, touch Printer Update Options, and then make sure Install Automatically (Recommended) is selected.

The update installs automatically.

4. Print another Print Quality Diagnostic page, and then continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 7 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Firmware is already updated, pl. find below quality report. You can see few white horizontal lines in blue color but they stay even after print head cleaning. Even in this report you can see white dots in all colors, like a noise.

printer quality report.jpg

HP Recommended

@tractable I suggest you print from a document and check if that works fine,

Also, for details on how to get the best results while printing photos: click here

Keep me posted,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So i have to get pictures of my kids from nearby photo studio and wasted 50 $ as my printer prints only grainy images. I took a copy of the studio picture, printed it with HP 7720 and took a side by side picture as below. Left is HP and right is a small inkjet printer of studio, you can see the original picture is smooth and comes very good in studio and how horrible it is with hp 7720. I cannot explain my problem better as same grainy results i am getting with any picture or any paper at home.

I have followed your link for best photo results but there is no change.

for hp.jpg

HP Recommended

@tractable

Could you try printing the Photos in BEST Mode and let me know the quality of the Pics

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02227495

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

All the photos that i have printed and showed here are in best mode. I have noticed that printing with best or normal mode does not have any impact on the quality of photos.

HP Recommended

@tractable I suggest you reinstall the drivers using the below steps to resolve the issue:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click here to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it.

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: Click here

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.