Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed my HP 7740, and I need to completely prevent it from shutting off: no auto-off at all. We are a 24/7 shop, and we do not want to have to walk across the building just to turn the printer on. I am technically proficient enough to edit the registry so if I have to do that, I will. How do I stop the printer from shutting off after # number of hours?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Tooliedotter, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Your HP printer is designed to reduce power consumption when the printer is not active. Auto Power Off or Schedule On and Off enables the printer to turn off after two hours of inactivity. When you are ready to use your printer again, press the Power button to turn the printer back on. Check the Schedule On and Off or Auto Power Off feature on the printer's control panel or through the software, depending on your printer model.

Navigate to the Setup menu, and then check the energy settings.

Open the Setup menu, and then click Preferences. Click Schedule Off, Auto Power Off or Auto-off, depending on your printer model, and then change any settings, if necessary.

Check the Schedule Off or Auto Power Off feature with HP Printer Assistant for computers with Windows.

1. Search Windows for your printer model, and then select your printer in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

2. Double-click Maintain Your Printer.

The Toolbox window opens.

3. Click the Advanced Settings tab, and then change the settings, if necessary.

Figure : Example of Advanced Settings Auto-Off enabled feature

Auto-Off enabled feature is highlighted in the Advanced Settings window
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts.

You cannot disable the power saver options completely but you can set it to the maximum time limit as it will keep the printer active for longer.

Also, refer to the User Guide for more details on sleep mode.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"When you are ready to use your printer again, press the Power button to turn the printer back on."

This is unacceptable. I explained quite clearly why I need to prevent the printer from turning off. I currently have it scheduled on and scheduled off with about 5 minutes in between, but because you have that Auto-Off, that defeats the purpose of the schedule. Did I miss something? How is that supposed to work?

Please take it as a product suggestion to provide a None option for Auto-off. We are not children, we are adults. We, not you, can decide for ourselves how much power we need and for which we are willing to pay.

HP Recommended

@Tooliedotter

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah, you hp guys are really funny, forcing your customers into workaround that at the end may lead to more energy consumption and frustrating them at the same time. Good job!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.