Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP All In One Officejet Ppro 8500 A Plus.

Printer requires a proxy server.  I have a home network with NO proxy servers.  Just a Linksys router (WRT54G).  I see a lot of folks with the same issue but I don't find any solutionns.

Effect is that I can not use products and services that were sold as part of the package.

Any solutions would be welcome (no I am not going to purchase and set up a proxy server).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you work for HP, you might want to do some research.  When you set the printer up and let it automatically assign the IP information, by default, it sets the DNS.

The solution turned out to be to set a manual IP address, set the 1st DNS as the router address and clear the second.

Where it asks for the proxy is at every attempt to set up the web service on the printer itself - clearly and without any additional information it simply states (incorrectly) that a proxy server is needed.

There are hundreds of complaints about the same issue and problem - you only need to look.

Very bad design and very bad documentation on providing a solution.

Not impressed at all.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Uh, to my knowledge this printer does not require a proxy server.  Where did you read that?  What error messages are you getting?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

If you work for HP, you might want to do some research.  When you set the printer up and let it automatically assign the IP information, by default, it sets the DNS.

The solution turned out to be to set a manual IP address, set the 1st DNS as the router address and clear the second.

Where it asks for the proxy is at every attempt to set up the web service on the printer itself - clearly and without any additional information it simply states (incorrectly) that a proxy server is needed.

There are hundreds of complaints about the same issue and problem - you only need to look.

Very bad design and very bad documentation on providing a solution.

Not impressed at all.

HP Recommended

Dear DAVEO:  I have the same printer and the same problem: I have a domestic WiFi network without proxy server and to access to the web services (particularly to update firmware) the printer ask me to configure a proxy server (!?) .

I have followed your recommendations:  set a manual IP address, set the 1st DNS as the router address and clear the second.

But, when I ask to "verify updating" the printer seams to search something for about 30 seconds and after that it turn to ask me to configure a proxy server.  May be I do not understood your method to solve the problem.

I will appreciate any help.

HP Recommended
Good Morning;

Frankly, I suspect there is a flaw in the IP management software for this printer because this problem should not be occurring.  When you force the printer to use the wireless router and override the distributed network information it appears to accept that and complete the connection.  I can not explain why other than it is seeing the wireless router as the network and not being passed through to the external network.  Therefore a proxy is not needed.  The proxy should be an option for a specific/specialized network environment and HP needs to correct this.

Using an older Linksys WRT54G router.   Network default is 192.168.1.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.  This will vary by router manufacturer but always be a private-non routeable network range.

Network > IPv4 Settings (Manual)  I used a dedicated printer address (the xxx below).

I set the IP to Manual then:

Manual IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx (My dedicated device number). suggest you use above 150-above the DHCP maximum..
Manual Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Manual Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (The router address)

Select Manual DNS then:

Manual Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1 (The router address)
Manual Alternate DNS Server: 0.0.0.0

Then apply the changes.  I went to the printer and was able to proceed with web services.

For my Linksys wireless routerr, this worked.  Thw web services connected from the printer and the Proxy problem stopped.  I found this solution in the HP forum but don't remember who posted it.

Good luck.
Regards
Dave

HP Recommended

I solved the problem by performing a full reset. You do it with the hidden menu . Press 4 times on the lower left side of he t screen  to get to the menu. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdx4C3J0Szo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.