Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP 8600 will not print color. I can print black fine, but whenever I try to print in color, it is grainy and the colors are more grey. I have cleaned the printhead and ran the diagnostics, and nothing is working.  Please help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@chknowles Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to print in color.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please let me know if you are using HP genuine ink cartridges.

Please try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Please let me know which operating system you are using.

Have you tried reinstalling the printer drivers and check?

Please perform the hard reset and check.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

5. Wait at least 60 seconds. 

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

The printer does not print in color whether it is via print or copy. It comes out with poor grey scale quality. I have cleaned the print heads and followed all of the troubleshooting tips on screen and nothing works.  I get the same results. I am using HP ink, I even purchased an additional set of HP ink just in case and it still does not print properly.

HP Recommended

I've never had a problem when one cartridge color didn't print out. I've been using HD printer cartridges for several years on different HP printers and have never had the slightest printing problem. I've cleaned out the three stages of cleaning numerous times, took the print head out and clean with lint-free cloth and alcohol. Still, I found the Cyan ink will not spray out. On paper, I get no hint of color coming out at all. This condition now leads me to believe I have a bad printhead. If so, I can't afford to buy a new print head at $212  but I can buy another HP printer for $69. Of course, the lower costing new printer will not offer the full number of features my present 6800 Pro All-in-One provides me.  Thankfully I can still print with one cartridge, not printing.  By the way, the ink capacity indicators show the proper full level for the new cartridge I just installed. I sure would appreciate and any ideas to possibly eliminate my missing print color. I suspect I may have a blocked ink flow path but don't have any idea how to connect a plastic tube to the ink input hole. so I can try gently blowing in some alcohol to hopefully soften up the blockage so the ink will flow again. And I have no print head schematic so I can't determine if I possibly have an electrical path problem. 

HP Recommended

@chknowles & @Aman315

I understand your concerns.

I would suggest you to contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.