Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 8710

Hi - i hope you can help me as im going around the bend!

i have had a HP officejet Pro for a year and can never seem to maintain its connection

After reading yet more and more about it on the HP fourm, i have made lots of config changes and i thought i had a break through - i added a Static IP address to the printer, Enable IPv4 only, created a new port reflecting the same address on my and kids laptops AND also reserved the same IP in my TalkTalk Router (under managed devices)  as static. 

All seemed to work ok for a few hrs...but now it seems that in order to connect, i have to go to the Printer and turn off/on wifi each time - then doing this allows me to connect. 

When i do this refresh of the Wifi on the Printer, then i can immediately connect  and also get to the EWS (Embedded Web Server)  page (eg http://192.168.1.215).   Then after a short while - it seems to go back offline and i cant resolve the IP address or see the Printer offline....very odd!

FYI i am connecting to the Printer via wifi - in my office locally via a TP link homeplug/powerline - thats providing wifi in my office with the same SSISD as the main house....im now wondering as i type this if i need to reserve (on the router?) the IP address for the homeplugs maybe??

Any thoughts??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

Perhaps a router problem.

So the printer WiFi connects directly to the Modem/Router from TalkTalk, or into a TP link?

HP Recommended

Hi

The printer is located in my office - about 10m from the main router where the phone line enters the house.

In my office i have a TP link plug, that the HP printer connect to wirelessly.  When i am in the office my laptop connects to the same.

Then when out of the office and in the main house, my laptop (and kids) connect to the wifi from the router directly.

When i first set it up with a reserved IP address on the router - it *seemed* to work ie all laptops whether in the house or office can connect to the Printers EWS page and the printer (192.168.1.215).  Then just a few mins later...it cant find / resolve the same address?   Whats weird is if this was some home network issue, then how come i can consistently (100%) connect to the Router webpage from any device and any location via home plug wifi or direct wifi.  Yet the printer cannot??

HP Recommended

i have just tried a few more things

i) turned off Wifi direct

ii) ensured printers DNS were the same as router (they were not - printer was using Googles)

iii) turned off everything

iv) turned on router - then turned on printer

i have connection...see if it lasts!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.