Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710

My HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 displays an error saying that the tray is open or empty.  There's plenty of paper, and the tray is closed.  I've reset the printer, and still experience this issue.  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Good day. May the forums welcome you! Smiley Happy  Good day!Smiley Happy How are you doing? Smiley Happy I read the post about the printer reporting an error message and you require assistance with it. I'll be delighted to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Great diagnosis. Fabulous assessment of the situation before posting your query. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a special privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy It is paramount to assist youSmiley Happy

Now please perform these steps.

• First, bypass all power strips and connect the printer directly to the wall outlet.
  • Perform a hard reset on the printer.
  • Please open and close the tray door 8 to 20 times.

Please check these links out : http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04354093

Link 2: http://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/document...

Please perform all the steps from these links.

If this does not work I will send you steps to perform a semi full reset as a private message. Please keep looking for private messages

Finally, if nothing works, it looks like a hardware issue with the printer and it either needs to be serviced or replaced. please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced. If the unit is under warranty, repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

You could look up the unit’s warranty by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/checkwarranty/  and select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions. Link to visit HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your familySmiley Happy  Take care.Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This response is ridiculous. What is with the patronizing compliments and all the smileys? Let me get this straight, somehow plugging an HP 8710 into a power strip versus the power outlet on the wall will cause it to get stuck thinking its door is open? I also am really at the suggestion to open and close the door 8-20 times. Seriously? Are these printers that poorly made?

My 8710 was not reporting the door open but the driver was stuck indicated the door was open after I replaced ink cartridges. Although the printer was fine and indicating Genuine HP Ink Cartridges were installed, my Windows 10 HP 8710 driver was still showing that the door was open and refusing to print. I even shut the printer off and turned it back on.

In the end, perhaps an hour later, the driver must have finally polled the printer or the printer finally notified the driver to indicate the door was closed because it finally started printing again. I've had the printer for a few months and it is always plugged into a surge protector and it always works.

The issue is when running out of ink during a print job. Once the driver is notified that the door was opened (to replace the ink) it gets stuck like that for up to an hour before it finally recognizes that the printer door was closed properly (without opening and closing it 8-20 times).

HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8710 says the door is open. Turned printer off and on, slammed all doors shut, updated software, ran diagnostics, plenty of paper in tray. Nothing worked. How do I get out of this mess. 

HP Recommended

@Big-Pete

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

You can refer this HP document for more assistance :- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my 8720 pro.  this is beyond frustrating.  i have had the printer for about 2 years, but have only maybe printed 150-200 pages total on the thing.  I did as the first response said to do performed the hard reset ( Semi-Full reset in the support menu), put the tray in and out 8-10 times, etc, and now as its going thru the setup and its stuck on the "load paper" step and i cant get past that step.  i can open up the back of the printer and see that the paper is sprung up properly, and if i manually try and turn the paper feed it will pick up a piece of paper.  It must be a bad sensor or something.  Is there a way to check the sensors.  i am a engineer by profession and am not afraid of digging into it it if you will let me, but my guess is you probably wont.  Cant tell you how frustrating this is to know that everything is perfectly fine except it doesn't recognize the tray and paper are in the printer.  For as little as i print i would even be OK if there was a manual feed on this printer, but there is none.  For as little as this printer has been used and how few pages i have actually printed on the thing for it to fail so fast is unacceptable!

Is there at least a way for me to get it reset again so i can not go thru the setup and get past the load tray screen.  there doesn't seem to be any way to get back into the service menu.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.