Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MSI
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 8720 all-in-one, running in wifi mode on Win 10 home network.  Wifi signal ranging from 60% to 85% at the printer, (usually above 80%)  Printer assigned static IP address because of earlier reliability probs with DCHP, this printer, and Bonjour.   IP address is outside of DHCP range.   

Printer will randomly, after idle period, not accept print jobs.  Printer front panel is indicating that the printer is online.  My router is showing the printer is available, and I am able to retrieve the printer's internal web page.  Job is not showing in printer queue on the printer, but is shown as "waiting" in Windows print jog queue.  I've rebooted PC and router but job remains "stuck".  The only solution that I've found is to re-start printer using the front panel power switch. 

The random period is unpredictable to me.  I've seen it go from several hours to several days of "idle time."  When it does go "down" , I also loose the scan to PC ability, even if I re-enable it on the printer.   

This has become a major hurdle, as my wife shares an office for me and my kids also share this printer.  I would just like it to work, ie: stay connected to the network and function as it was designed.  

I am an Instant-Ink subscriber, and I appreciate your kind help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jimzix1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Check if the static IP is assigned properly, this helps to resolve the issue:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.