Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My 8720, which has worked almost flawlessly for a year, now disconnects from my computer maybe once a day. Turning the printer on and off  (sometimes twice) brings the connection back. The printer is near the router, the signal is strong, and there's no indication that my internet connection has been dropped or is flaky.

It's possible this started when I upgraded to macOS 10 (Catalina). The timing is about right, but I can't be certain.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Set a static IP address to the printer.

If you don't know how then try AUTO STATIC IP

https://supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/1972074076001/assigning-your-hp-printer-a-static-ip-ad... 

HP Recommended

Just tried this. EWS interface for 8720 is different from video. Bookmarking shows a blank page. However, under Network/Wireless/IPv4, there is an option to select a manual IP address, and a button to have an IP address suggested. So this sounds like what was desired. I'll see if the IP address really sticks when I restart the printer, and then will see if my problem resolves. Thank you in advance. I'll keep this thread posted.

HP Recommended

Glad you were able to set it.

Yes, do let us know if that fixes it, and mark my last post as solved so others can find the fix.

HP Recommended

Well the IP address is still as assigned yesterday, but that's the only good news.

Computer won't print to Printer. Printer won't scan to computer. I can't Airprint from my iPhone either.

Cannot connect to printer via HP utility or with the IP address and a browser.

I have restarted computer, printer, modem.  Then I turned off both printer and computer, and then turned on computer. When it was up, I turned on the printer.  Nothing helps.

The only thing at all that has changed in this time frame is my laptop was upgraded to MacOS Catalina. But today is the first time that I can't get a temporary connection by restarting everything.

So right now I have a printer that can print the Network report and that's it.

Any one have any troubleshooting ideas? I'm ready to toss it out the window.

HP Recommended

I seem to be making it worse 😞

I followed these troubleshooting steps off the hp site

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/7902032/model/7...

After restoring the network settings, I found and logged in to my home network.

I printed a wireless network test report, and everything passes

I then try to add the HP 8720 back to my Printers & Scanners. The printer is now back in my list of printers, but I cannot print to it or connect to it.

I'd say I have a brick, but it's more like a large granite tombstone 🙂

I am so frustrated.

The printer is still under warranty. Can I just send it back?

HP Recommended

Sometimes the brute force method is best 🙂

I reset the printer to factory defaults, completely uninstalled the printer and all HP printer software, then reinstalled with HP EasyStart.

Everything works as expected. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. If they didn't work, I'm sure it was my lack of understanding.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear all is working now.

You should still have a static IP address on the printer to avoid other issues.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I'm an expert at that now 🙂

HP Recommended

On the Manual IP screen, set the manual DNS.

Your Primary is your home router(Gateway).

The Secondary is set to Google DNS 8.8.8.8

Screenshot (83).png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.