Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

without any apparent reason, when I turn on my Hp photosmart c5280 all in one, the message "refer to printer documentation" appears in the printer screen, and it can't print. In the printer  manager software I can see that the black ink cartridge isn't shown, it isn't recognized by the printer. It's a original Hp cartridge, Hp 350 xl, and I always used original parts for my printer. I tried to place an old and empty cartridge in the printer in place of the black un-working one, and the old one is well recognized, in fact printer tell me that the cartridge is empty, but at least it's shown as placed.

How can it happen?? It's an error of the cartridge hardware? How can I fix the problem without buying a new expensive cartirdge?

83 REPLIES 83
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem, went through all the steps, genuine hp, expiration 2010, cleaned and reinstalled, but still the error!  I even tried the old cartridge out of my recycle bin, but it was not recgonized.  I have the 74XL and 75XL cartridges, the old one was just a 75.  I know they are fairly new.  Any suggestions most welcome, before I go back to my old Epson that I was going to recycle (still works great). 
HP Recommended
no one can help?? Could it be a cartridge failure?
HP Recommended
no one can help?? I heard that hp after sale assistance was one of the best, but I start thinking it isn't so...
HP Recommended
Does it show only "Refer to printer documentation" and nothing else? Usually, then error will look something like "Cartridge error/scanner failure/any other error. Refer to printer documentation". So do you see anything else? Also, does this message appear if you insert your old, empty ink cartridge too?
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

It says Printing cartridges - refer to printer documentation.

I tried with a hp 350 empty cartridge, and there's no error. Then I suppose the problem is with the cartridge. Maybe the chip on the cartridge without any external reason broke?

HP Recommended
It seems like a cartridge issue, yes. If the cartridge is still under warranty(you can find the end of warranty date on the cartridge itself), then either call HP Tech Support or the retailer for a replacement. I believe you're in Europe, right?
HP Recommended
thank  you very much for your help. Cartridge is still under warranty, but I have no more the receipt, I didn't hold it because I would have never thought about a cartridge failure! It's the same, can I afford cartridge warranty without it?
HP Recommended
I'm not sure what you mean by affording cartridge warranty. Care to elaborate?
HP Recommended
I meant that  warranty is still valid, but I haven't the receipt.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.