Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2624

Printer: I have a HP Deskjet 2624.

The ink cartridges that came with the printer were out of ink - at least thats what the printer was showing and not printing any pages. I bought HP Ink 65 2-pack as a replacement. However, the printer does not seem to be recognizing the new cartridges. 

The display on the printer is showing empty for both cartridges. 

HP app indicates - "Use SETUP Cartridges - To complete printer setup, you must install the cartridges labeled SETUP that shipped in the box with the printer. Replace the currently installed cartridges with the SETUP cartridges now. After printer setup is complete, the printer can use regular cartridges."

I had previously used and depleted the ink in the setup cartridges that came with the printer. So I would think that the printer setup was previously done since I was able to use the printer (copy, print). 

In any case at present I only have one of the original cartridges that is labeled 'SETUP', I disposed off the other one, not knowing it may be needed. I tried reinstalling this cartridge but so far have had no luck in getting the printer to recognize the 2 new HP Ink cartridges.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@deskjet2600User If you've gone through all the steps and Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware was done,yet it didn't help, I'm afraid you are right and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@deskjet2600User Welcome to HP Community!

Use SETUP Cartridges displays on the printer control panel or computer, and the printer does not print.

NOTE: 

If you see an ink cartridge error message other than Use SETUP Cartridges, go to HP Customer Support, search for your printer model, and then find the troubleshooting document that matches the error you see.

The steps to troubleshoot vary by the type of ink cartridges your printer uses. Identify your ink cartridge type, and then follow the steps to resolve the issue.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the troubleshooting steps but that didn't help.

I worked with HP Support to troubleshoot and the conclusion that we reached was this might be a hardware issue.

HP Recommended

@deskjet2600User If you've gone through all the steps and Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware was done,yet it didn't help, I'm afraid you are right and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.