Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet GT 5820
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I live in Central America and bought this HP Deskject printer almost two years ago, it has the refillable tanks for the ink.  About a week ago I received an error message that the Tri-color cartridge was not compatible with this printer - it is the original one that came with the printer.  The color cartridge has rarely been used, just mainly the black one.  I feel it's likely connect to an expiration date issue.  I have tried holding down power button and then pressing the resume button three times, as I read somewhere, but no luck.  Also unplugged power cord from printer, then from outlet, left for several minutes, then re-connected, no luck!  It's about a six hour drive for me to Panama City to buy replacement cartridges, but I have to get some stuff printed out now!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Thank you, I'll give that a try!

HP Recommended

@topcatto

The previous post was removed.  Please note the phone provided is not a valid HP number.

Cheers

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

so can you please help me with this dilemma?

HP Recommended

@topcatto Greetings from the HP Community!

I have a few steps that should help resolve this issue once and for all:

Install the printheads properly. If you have already installed the printheads, skip to the next step.

CAUTION: 

Very Important! Do not open the blue carriage latch after printhead installation. Opening the latch might result in severe ink system errors.

Image: Do not open carriage latch

1. With the printer turned on, open the exterior door, and then open the printhead access door.

The printhead carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Image: Access the printhead carriage

2. Install the printheads.

• Insert the black printhead into the right slot.

• Insert the tri-color printhead into the left slot.

Image: Insert the printheads

3. Close the blue carriage latch by pushing down firmly until the latch snaps into place.

Image: Closing the latch

If the issue persists, upgrade the printer firmware using this link: click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle!

Thank you kindly for your response.  I used the Smart app and it states that everything is up to date.  So nothing changed except that the error message does not any longer say that the cartridge is incompatible, but instead that it is incorrectly installed, damaged on not-vented?  Not sure how to make sure that it is vented! 🙂  So still in the same boat!  So if there is something wrong with JUST the tri-color cartridge, why can I NOT continue to print with the black?  I'm just dead in the water right now!

Also, can you possibly check my HP case number, re-filed again today, as I received a phone call just a little while ago from someone claiming to be from HP, and what has spooked me is that she had my address, and my name (albeit my surname from 12 years ago, before I married) and she offered to send me out a replacement printer, but told me that i needed to buy an Ebay gift card to pay for the printer and supplies ($150 in total) and it would be immediately refunded to me once she had registered the new printer!  SCAM!!!   I think someone from HP needs to be aware of this.  If worries me that somehow she got my (albeit old) contact information from HP!

HP Recommended

@topcatto HP never calls its customers and asks for any payment as such, its good that you didn't pay, it's smart of you to identify such scams, and I appreciate you letting us know as I'll be forwarding these details to the concerned team so they can work on identifying such issues and resolving the same.

That said, if you've followed all the suggested steps and yet the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.