Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1514 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have just set up my printer using a MacOS system but it won't print. The scanning function is normal, but it doesn't print the test page or the document I wanted to print. It keeps on displaying 'the printer is idle' on the printing job page. I have tried the troubleshooting instructions inclouding re-setting up the printer in Systems Preferences etc. Could anyone advise me what is wrong, please? I honestly can't get it out of the 'idle' status. Thank you so much in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Angela_liusc, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that the printer is in idle status and you're unable to print from the computer. We can try the steps below-

If your printer is connected to your computer’s USB port, open System Information, then click USB. If the printer’s name appears in the hardware list but the printer doesn’t work, review the printer’s documentation for further troubleshooting information or see Check your device’s USB connection(This is a third-party link. Please do not click on any ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as this is a third-party link meant only for viewing information).

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue, using the printer with Mac OS 10.14. Followed until step 5, but I'm stuck at 6. I cannot see any link to download the tool ("firmware"). It only appears to me the usual driver ("HP Easy start").

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Jacob_LifeStyle, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you do not see any updates available you can skip the step and just check for different ports and cable to verify the connectivity.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you very much for your response.

Removed my USB hub and tried printing directly connecting via my laptop's USB's. (step 7). Still no luck.

I tried to print with a Windows laptop and it seems to work just fine.

Any help?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Jacob_LifeStyle.

Thanks for replying!

Let us try uninstalling the printer software completely and then try adding the printer. Refer to the document HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)  for steps. 

If the issue persists, run the disk utility on your computer-

1. Open Finder: Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.  Open it.

2. Select your Macintosh HD on the left side, then click Repair Disk Permissions along the bottom.

3. Let it finish (20 minutes or so), then close Disk Utility.

Now, try installing the printer on the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for early response.

Already tried it, removing completely the HP sofware and re-installed it via Apple software.

It didn't work.

Any other solution.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Jacob_LifeStyle

Did you run the disk utility on the computer?

Let me know.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did repair disk permissions of my mac drive via terminal app (In OS 10.14, the function to do it via disk utility app was removed). And tried printing again. Still no luck.

Forgot to mention: there's an orange light on every time I turn on the printer. The color cartridge is low on ink. Could that be the issue? (Still, with this light on, I could print in Windows without any problem).

Thanks in advance.

-Jacobo.

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you so much for your help. Sorry for the late reply. I tried updating the firmware but it does not seem to solve the problem sadly. I don't think there is a problem with the USB because the scanning function works fine. Could you advise me what else I could try, please? Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.