Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Hp Deskjet 2540 I want to cancel an 8 page print job,  and I can't delete it out of the que, it keeps saying deleting

but it won't go, I am using wireless connection. I have tried using the cable connection but it still won't delete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and press R.  Into the Run window, type services.msc and hit enter.  Browse down to the print spooler service, right click it and select Properties then click on the Stop button.  Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS and delete the job inside this folder - You may need to click a prompt to gain the appropriate authority to open the PRINTERS folder.

Restart the computer and you should find the document(s) have been removed.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and press R.  Into the Run window, type services.msc and hit enter.  Browse down to the print spooler service, right click it and select Properties then click on the Stop button.  Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS and delete the job inside this folder - You may need to click a prompt to gain the appropriate authority to open the PRINTERS folder.

Restart the computer and you should find the document(s) have been removed.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It will not let me delete the offending job in the folder saying 'this file is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again'

I have closed everything and it still will not let me delete the job.

HP Recommended

I have deleted all print jobs from my computer and have nothing in que.  I deleted the spool/printer jobs and there are none showing.  The printer prints that last print job that I printed every time I turn on my computer, even if it just goes to sleep and I wake it again.  This is a 15 page color document and it is KILLING my ink.  Please advize other possible options.

HP Recommended

What is the 'Windows' key? I find this again and again, if people are 'techy' they think everyone else is and don't explain things or indicate which icon we should be looking for.

Could you explain a little more please? I have exactly the same problem as the original poster who cannot delete a printing job. It has meant that I haven't been able to print anything out all day. It's really frustrating. Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

I think I managed to follow these instructions and have now lost the connection between my laptop and the printer. When I click on the printer icon, it asks me about connecting a new computer or reconfiguring my Wireless settings.

What on earth do I do now? This is the problem with not having correct customer care on these xxxxx computers. If you are not computer savvy, it makes life impossible if something goes wrong. I am sick of my damned printer, tbh, it causes me more problems than enough.

Sorry for the rant, but I am sick and tired of this nonsense with computers. I'm in my 50s - they are anathema to me and many others my age.

HP Recommended
How does one delete the job Inside the folder? I don't understand please answer asap
HP Recommended

Thank you for the instructions, I got to the Printers directory easily. But I am at a loss at what topdo next. As there are about 10 files of two different nomenclaturers (naming structures) none of which resemble the file name.

Some are as 00023.SHD and the others are a string of meaningless letters starting with PP and ending in .TMP

Would some one give me some guideance - please. Thank you in antisipation.

HP Recommended
This is great! 😀 Now we're off to a new printer life start again. Thank you so much, @DavidPK ..more to come 😘
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.