Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My first post here so please excuse any faux pas on my part.  I bought this HP Deskjet 3050 a week ago and have been waging war with it ever since.  I'd be really grateful if someone could possibly advise on how I can resolve this.

I am unable to connect the printer to my secured wireless network, even though other computers, cell phones, etc. are connected without issue.  I have tried WPA, WPA2 and WPA2-Mixed security modes with the same failure. Specifically, the connection wizard reaches 66% and then displays the error that the wizard is unable to find network/printer.  If I disable the security, the printer connects fine.

I'm using a Linksys WRVS4400N router with firewall and associated firewall settings disabled.  The router is broadcasting on 802.11G/N mixed mode.

I'm installing the software supplied on the setup CD on a Windows XP SP3 system.  I have confirmed that the network the PC and printer are connected to are the same.

A question as well, if I may:  I haven't tried these drivers yet but I see there are updated drivers for the printer dated 14/12/2010.  The release notes indicate improved networking, but don't elaborate beyond this.  Does anyone know if there was a known problem with connecting to secured networks that has now been fixed?

Finally, just a note that I'm partially sighted and am using a screen reader on all systems.  I'll try my best to be as helpful as I can but please do excuse me if I occasionally can't find settings, etc. on screen and need a bit more detailed help.

Thanks in advance for your help, which I really will appreciated.

Have a pleasant day,

All the best for now and take care,

Hussein.

It's not the fact it can't be done, it's the fact it hasn't been done, yet.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

firstly, apologies for the delay getting back to you.  Poor health has meant I've had little time nor inclination to do much on the computer side of htings.

Anyway, I'm please to say the problem with the HP 3050 failing to connect to my network is now solved.  It seems to be a bug with the setup software, and that seems to include the latest version posted Dec 2010.

To resolve the problem, I did the following:
1. Disable all security options for the network, so it's just an open network.
2. Connect the HP 3050 to the network using the setup wizard. This time it connected OK for me.
3. Locate the printer's IP address.  I used the client list table accessed through my router's interface. You may be able to get this through the printer's on-screen menu, but as I'm partially sighted, this wasn't an option for me.
4. Log into the printer's control panel at http://ip.address.of.printer e.g. http://192.168.2.108
5. Under the advanced options, configure the settings for the network, including security protocol and passphrase.  Remember to enter the SSID of the network exactly as configured on the router.
6. Apply the settings and log out of the printer's control panel.
7. Log back into the router's control panel and re-apply the security options.  Be sure that they match those match those entered for the printer.

Hopefully this will be of use to others in the same position.

Thanks again for your time.

Best,

H.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

OK, this is strange but I heard about this a few days ago.  Remove any spaces in your passphrase and try again.  It should accept spaces, but perhaps we have a bug.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

HI,

firstly, apologies for the delay getting back to you.  Poor health has meant I've had little time nor inclination to do much on the computer side of htings.

Anyway, I'm please to say the problem with the HP 3050 failing to connect to my network is now solved.  It seems to be a bug with the setup software, and that seems to include the latest version posted Dec 2010.

To resolve the problem, I did the following:
1. Disable all security options for the network, so it's just an open network.
2. Connect the HP 3050 to the network using the setup wizard. This time it connected OK for me.
3. Locate the printer's IP address.  I used the client list table accessed through my router's interface. You may be able to get this through the printer's on-screen menu, but as I'm partially sighted, this wasn't an option for me.
4. Log into the printer's control panel at http://ip.address.of.printer e.g. http://192.168.2.108
5. Under the advanced options, configure the settings for the network, including security protocol and passphrase.  Remember to enter the SSID of the network exactly as configured on the router.
6. Apply the settings and log out of the printer's control panel.
7. Log back into the router's control panel and re-apply the security options.  Be sure that they match those match those entered for the printer.

Hopefully this will be of use to others in the same position.

Thanks again for your time.

Best,

H.

HP Recommended

Hi 

I just wanted to let people know that this process works with the 3050A and computers running Windows 7 and using a BT home hub. 

Thanks for sharing!!! You're a Christmas Miracle.

HP Recommended

where can i cannet my printer

HP Recommended

I cannot remember what my WPA is. I am trying to set up my printer and it is asking for WPA Passphrase?  HELP ....PLEASE

HP Recommended

Your WPA passphrase is commonly known as your 'wireless network password'.  Tell me what router you have and I can tell you how to get your WPA passphrase.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I saw someone mention having spaces in the passphrase can mess things up. I didn't think you could have spaces in a passphrase, but you can however have spaces in your SSID. I had an SSID that included a space and for the life of me could not get this printer to connect to the network. I removed the space in the SSID and that was the trick! Seems like a pretty stupid bug and it's obviously in the HP installation software, but it's very easy to fix. (after hors of frustration of course!)

HP Recommended

HI I am also having problems connecting my printer to my wireless router.  The Computer that it is connected to wired Has the latest verson of Ubuntu on it and the Machine that I want to connect  wirelessly to is running Windows 7.  I have had the printer for a while and just got the router hooked up.  I had to have some one come in and hook it up for me at the time and I faild to have them hook up my printer.  I don't know much about computers just the simple basics.   If some one could help walk me through the set up it would be very helpful.  The router that I am using is a Linksys E1200.  and every time that I try to connect I get an error and it times out on the connection. 

HP Recommended

This is like greek to me.  This is the first I have connected a printer & I Say "  It can't be done"

I do-not know whatan open network iis nor do I know what a setup wizard, printers IP address printers address,

etc, etc.

Simply overwhelmed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.