Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3510 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi: After changing both color and black ink cartridges (HP Deskjet 3510 e-All-in-One Printer) and Yes, I use HP brand. The color will print. The Black at first was barely readable and now no black ink at all. Did not get an error message or code. Was able to print quality report –it did not print black portions, color printed perfectly. Was able to print a Quick Form, which printed in color only. It is not a software issue as printer obviously works. Yes, did Clean Print head 3 times, no improvement whatsoever. This has been a great printer, never had any problems or issues. Have seen Utube videos advising wipe print heads with paper towel damp with alcohol, in this 3510 model cannot access backside of print heads to manually paper towel clean print heads. What would be next option? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

On this model the printheads are part of the ink cartridges.

Two things that might be causing your problem, bad black cartridge or the printer has a problem.

If you touch the bottom of the black cartridge to a damp paper towel do you see any ink?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi 8-Lives and thank you for responding. So that is it, huh, the printheads are part of the ink cartridges, I find that unfortunate as it leaves me without the ability to repair or clean it myself. Initially the new black cartridge did print black, during the alignment that happens when inserting any new cartridge.  I really like this printer. I am dismayed as it seems I may just have to throw it away as the cost of a new printer could be the same or less than schlepping it to Best Buy for repair (if they repair printers). When wiped with a paper towel there is no black ink seen. I no longer have the receipt or packaging for the ink cartridges, so uncertain and unlikely HP would replace the cartridge. Any ideas what to do next? PS: 8Lives, are you a cat?   

HP Recommended

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the printer & cartridge?

This link explains how.

You can still print if you remove the black cartridge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

thank you for the link. I don't have distilled water so will have to wait on cleaning. What was also mentioned in your link was resetting the printer by: "Reset the printer with the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, Unplug the power cord from the power source; Wait 60 seconds; Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer" so I will try this then do the distilled water cleaning.  When you write "You can still print if you remove the black cartridge." are you telling me I can still print with only the color cartridge inserted or are you asking if I can print with only the color cartridge inserted? Again thanks for your helpfulness! 

HP Recommended

You can print with only one cartridge installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.