Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I know this is a long shot but I've tried basically everything here.

I have an HP Deskjet 3650, and have had it since 2003. It has worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago.

During what I'd call its "start up" sequence, it brings the carriage to the left, then spins the rollers really fast forwards, backwards and forwards again. Then it stops. The power button blinks during the entire process.

Pressing the power button again will repeat the process. Pressing the cancel button or holding one or both of them does nothing.

I am using Windows 10 (64 bit) and everything looks fine from there. It even lets me print but the documents go nowhere and there is no notification of anything being wrong. AFAIK the last software suite for this printer was designed for Windows XP and even trying to install that, it crashes on start.

I tried the HP Printer Diagnostics software. It ran through and told me the device status is bad, which makes sense. But none of the steps helped fix the issue. I've dusted the thing, removed the back cover and checked for a jam, and even tried spinning the rollers manually in case they were stuck somehow. I've even taken the top off the printer and looked for anything that is out of place but everything seems like it is fine. Even with the ink cartridges out of the carriage, it still does the same thing. I have no idea why this printer isn't working.

If anyone has a tool I can use to get more info from the USB connection or maybe some sort of trick I haven't tried that will get this printer back working, that'd be awesome. I can provide a video of what it does if necessary too.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mattboy9921

I have gone through your Post and I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Try updating the Printer firmware and let me know how it goes

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

Thank you so much for your response! I've gone to the link you provided and followed the steps.

When I get to step 6, there is no Firmware option. All I can see are Driver-Product Installation Software and Utility-Diagnostic Tools. The former tells me, with Windows 10 at least, that the OS will install the driver automatically (which is true). The latter has the Print and Scan Doctor software, which I've downloaded and tried earlier to no avail.

I did a quick Google search as well but came up empty handed for firmware updates for the 3650. Perhaps there is a hidden download for it?

HP Recommended

@mattboy9921

Since the issue persists, I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.