Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet F4480
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I put new cartridges in my printer, and now it is printing text with a shadow. It makes the text look a bit fuzzy.

I have aligned the cartridges a number of times, cleaned the cartridges, ran paper feed cleaning and ran back of page smear cleaning for good measure. I also uninstalled and reinstalled all related drivers and software.

The only way I can print without the shadow is by selecting print in grey scale, black ink only.

I assume it is an alignment issue but going through alignment multiple times has not helped. I've even taken out the cartridges and put them back in and then run through alignment. They are brand new cartridges.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

After looking through other posts I saw a solution using the HP Print and Scan Doctor. I installed that and ran through that. The test page clearly shows an alignment issue, so I once again did an alignment. There was no change.

HP Recommended

@GBea

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

Please try these steps

- Turn on the printer.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer and clean the electrical contacts with lint free cloth
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
- Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
- If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.

Also ensure the printer has the latest Firmware. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did not solve the issue.

HP Recommended

@GBea,

I recommend you root uninstall the printer and then reinstall it and check if it helps.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.