Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2546R
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer iis asking me for a pass phrase which it has never done before. I am not trying to print from a new device. I don't know why it is now asking me for a pass phrase. I have put in my wireless passcode but that doesn't work. Please advise. Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Susangustafson,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that the printer is asking for the passphrase, which you have never done on this printer, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

How is the printer connected? (Wired or Wireless)

Is the wireless light blinking on the printer?

Have tried to do any change in the printer?

However, I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then, Update the printer firmware directly from the printers.

1. Navigate to the printer update feature. Menu names and icons vary by printer.

• Printers with an ePrint button or icon: Touch or press the HP ePrint icon or button ( or ), touch or press Settings or Setup if necessary, then touch or press Product Update or Check Product Updates.

• Printers with text-based menus: Select the Setup, Service, or Settings menu, select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools if necessary, then select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.

2. If you are prompted to sign up or accept terms of service, follow any on-screen instructions to enable Web Services and setup automatic updates. This procedure sets up the printer's Internet connection so it can receive updates.

3. If the printer does not automatically start the update process, select Check for Updates or a similar menu to start the update.

Download firmware updates from the HP website

Update the printer firmware for printers connected to a computer with Windows.

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer, either through your local network or a USB cable.

2. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then enter your printer model number.

3. Select your operating system if required.

4. Click Firmware, and then click Download.

If a Firmware section is not listed, an update is not currently available for your printer.

5. Click Use HP Download and Install Assistant (Recommended), click Next, and then click Install now.

6. When the HP Printer Update window opens, see if the printer serial number displays.

• If the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

• If the serial number displays but the status is 'not applicable' (grayed out), you do not need to complete the firmware update. Click Cancel.

• If the serial number does not display and your printer uses a network connection, connect a USB cable to the printer and computer, wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh. When the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

Figure : Updating the printer firmware

The HP Printer Update utility window showing a serial number selected for an HP OfficeJet 4650 and an activity bar showing that the update is in progress.
  7. When the update completes, click OK.

8. If you connected a USB cable to update your network printer, remove the USB driver installed by Windows.

1. Search Windows for Devices and Printers, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer, and then restart the computer.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

As I will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

Have a great day Ahead!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Good Morning, I am still unable to get past the printer asking for a passcode. WHen I searched for updates the response was that I had updates and none were needed. I'm ready to throw this out and just buy a new printer. Any last minute tips?

HP Recommended

@Susangustafson,

Thanks for the reply,

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue. Please send a private message as i cannot get past the passphrase problem, even after a reset. 

thank you

HP Recommended

@JAS11

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's reset the network settings on the Printer:

Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for 5 seconds.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.