Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 120
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello

I have previously used non-HP ink cartridges in our HP ENVY 120 All-in-One printer but our printer is now preventing us from printing with non-HP cartridges.  An error message 'Cartridge Problem - one or more cartridges appear to be damaged' and, from researching various websites, it would appear HP has blocked through a firmware update many users from printing with non-HP (third party) ink cartridges.

This is wholly unfair as I have a right to choose what ink cartridges I use in a printer I have purchased.  I understand HP have been required to issue firmware updates to remove this block and I want to know how I can force my HP ENVY 120 All-in-One printer to work once again with non-HP cartridges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we cannot print anything.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kernow1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

QualityLogic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands. The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability.

Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely 70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing.

You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar0307

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the comment re using original HP inkjet print cartridges.  However, I feel it is a user's personal choice what cartridge they use in a printer - and my own experience to date is that I have never experienced any issues using a non-HP ink cartridge.  It troubles me to read many comments online how users appear to be affected by HP blocking the use of non-HP cartridges thus preventing a user from using their printer.

I have followed the steps below as well as install the HP Smart app on my iMac.  The installation ran smoothly with the confirmatory message saying the printer had been successfully connected.  Unfortunately,  my printer will not print as I am still faced with the same error message, 'Cartridge Problem! - one or more of the cartridges appear to be damaged'.  I see this is the same message many other HP users encounter when using non-HP ink cartridges i.e. the printer suddenly stopped working and from what I can gather, this is something to do with HP blocking use of non-original cartridges.  Some say this can be fixed with new firmware which will then 'override' this block.  Would you please advise how I can move forward as this is incredibly frustrating as I am sure there is nothing wrong with the cartridges I am using.  

Kind regards

HP Recommended

@Kernow1

I require additional information to assist you further. I have sent you a private message. Kindly revert.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.