Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY 4500 skips lines when printing in black. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DAL54
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?
  • Did it happen recently after replacing the ink cartridges?
  • Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?
  • Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the printhead?
  • Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

• Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.
  • Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose the “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, this clearly indicates a possible hardware failure with the printer. Before you could contact our HP phone support for further assistance, I would suggest you follow these steps here: 

I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Inkjet Printers - 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays

Alternatively, you can also go through this link: HP Deskjet 3540, ENVY 4500 Printers - Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.