Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have looked at the suggestions from others in the community, but could not find a solution.

My printer is suddenly printing only in Black and White (grayscale).

I have tried everything on your site and in the preference, but there is no place that gives me a choice between grayscale or color.

There is nothing there to choose from.

There used to be a choice, so I could switch between grayscale and color, but there is no longer a place to choose.

Can anyone help me/ i would appreciate any help.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 4520. I found a solution on these forums that worked for me after 3 days of messing around with it and buying a new 3830 OfficeJet printer (new printer didn't solve issue). I had to change the driver. I'm thinking the problem is from Windows updates. Copied from the post I found...

"I finally found a solution! I have an HP Deskjet 4729, and out of the blue it suddenly stopped printing in colour. Its very easy to fix. Go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Right Click on your printer>Go to Printer Properties>Advanced Tab>Change the driver to any one>Click on OK
Now try to print out a picture. It won't work. (*It did work for me.)
Follow the steps above and change the driver back to the original
Now try to print. It will be in colour!"

I did this by changing the print driver from the HP 3830 driver to "Microsoft IPP Class Driver" and now my printer prints in color normally.

HP Recommended

Sorry, it didn't work for me.

Also, there is no longer a choice for grayscale or color. That is gone. I have uninstalled my device and then re installed it and nothing helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.