Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4525
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The first problem I had using the printer was that for photos it only printed part of the page, and the ink didn't dry. It smudged even after 24 hours.

I spoke to a very helpful technician. She said that it was only possible to print non-smudge colour photos using the old Windows Viewer, which she installed for me. Everything then worked perfectly. Until today.

Now Windows Viewer is only showing the option to print in greyscale. I have installed a new genuine HP 3-colour cartridge. The printer information shows that there is a colour cartridge installed, but it won't print in colour.

Help, please. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Somewhatlost

It sounds like an issue with the printer driver installed on your computer. 

Removing the existing printer driver and then installing a compatible driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once the software and driver is removed, download and install the printer software and driver available here

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day! 

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.

I followed all the steps, but unfortunately it has not changed anything. There is still no colour printing and the output is very streaky and the ink can be rubbed off with a finger. 

The printer prints in colour when I use the copy function. 

Can you suggest anything else, please? 

It did print successfully after my telephone session with technical support, but it's all gone back to where it was. 

HP Recommended

@Somewhatlost

That's unfortunate, let's try adding an alternate driver. The following steps should help you add an alternate driver:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Control panel, click Devices and Printers

2.) In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your HP Envy 4525 and left click on Printer Properties.

3.) Left click on the Advanced tab

4.) Left click on New Driver

5.) When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.

6.) Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left

7.) Select HP Envy 7640 as the printer on the right. If HP Envy 7640 doesn't appear than select 'Windows Update' on the bottom left and once the update completes you will be able to select HP Envy 7640.

8.) After selecting HP Envy 7640 hit next to complete the New Driver Wizard.

9.) Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK

10.) Select the General tab

11.) Rename your printer back to HP Envy 4525.

12.) Hit OK.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I started following your suggestions, but at 3.) there is no Advanced tab. 

HP Recommended

@Somewhatlost

You are welcome! Would you be able to post a screenshot of the Printer Properties screen.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.

snip.jpg

HP Recommended

@Somewhatlost

It looks like you are looking at the Properties window. Once you right click the printer name on Devices and Printers, look for and select Printer Properties. I believe it's the 6th option when you right click the printer name on Devices and Printers.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Here's a screenshot of the Printer Properties. 

Snip.png

HP Recommended

@Somewhatlost

Thanks! On the printer properties window, click Advanced and then click New Driver. The add printer wizard will open, follow instructions from step 5 of my second post to add an alternate driver.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.