Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MS SurfacePro6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen a number of posts with other users with this issue and tried the various recommendations but have not yet had success getting my HP Envy 5540 to once again print in color. (I didn't find a post where the user indicated they had success.)

I just reinstalled the HP Envy 5540 on my new SurfacePro6.  I had this printer setup on my older SurfacePro4 and it printed in color as normal on that device.  The printer itself is printing demo pages in color so it's not the printer itself.  I did do the full reinstall of the appropriate driver and confirmed my firmware is up-to-date.  

I have no option to turn off grayscale (it's not even a visible option in any screen I access).  
If someone has an actual fix for this issue, that is obviously not limited to myself, I'd much appreciate your sharing/resharing.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @salzyt

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Refer to "Color and black & white settings" from here

If the issue still persists, try a root-level uninstall - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have the Envy 5540 printer and it will not print in color. My question is why should drivers have to be uninstalled. There is a feature that was there in Windows 7 that HP has removed in Windows 10 and that is being able to chose color or black/white in the paper/quality tab in printer preferences. I just got a new computer with Windows 10 and installed the full feature driver so apparently there is issues with the drivers.

HP Recommended

@eagllvr

Click on this link to download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix the issue. 

Did you try a root un-install as suggested in my previous post

If the issue still persists, try adding built-in drivers - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the Doctor and it said it did product updates which I dont believe as I had verified that drivers and firmware were up to date, but still did not print in color. What purpose would doing a root un-install serve? I would then just be installing the drivers like I already have done as they are new computers with NO printer drivers having been installed. I had mentioned that I already had installed the Windows drivers. So since I can not get this printer to work because of driver issue, then it is worthless.

HP Recommended

@eagllvr

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue. They should be able to take a remote access to resolve this issue. 

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My issue is still not resolved.  I have attempted the following:

• several full uninstalls/reinstalls
  • confirmed all my system updates are current
  • confirmed the device itself prints/copies
  • did a hard restart of my entire network and associated devices
  • ran through the HP Print and Scan Doctor (i can get the printer to print an internal test page but that is it).

When i attempt to print now - I get nothing printing.  Everything is erroring out and doesn't make it out of the print queue "error-printing" message on all docs including test pages.

SO - I have spent hours and gone backwards.  I am officially worse off than before and have perused the HP support site and tried what I saw recommended in other posts but at present cannot print at all.

I'm in need of next steps.

HP Recommended

@salzyt

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue. They should be able to take remote access to resolve this issue. 

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.