Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my HP ENVY 5540 won't print in color despite new cartridge installed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sure @Tom4824

I'll follow-up with you in a couple of days. 

Thanks! 🙂 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

@Tom4824

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you clean the Printhead and check if that helps

• Make sure you have loaded plain white U.S. letter or A4-sized paper into the paper tray.

• On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

• Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

The printer cleans the ink cartridges, then prints a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

Figure : Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic report

Image: Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic report
    • Examine the Print Quality Diagnostic report.

• If the print quality is not acceptable, touch Yes to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.

NOTE:  If the printhead is badly clogged, you might need to clean the ink cartridges several times for optimal print quality. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.
You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04715297
Keep me posted how it goes 😊
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

•  

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for this.  I completed the Clean Cartridges routine as suggested and the diagnostic page printed in colour ok.  However when I tried to print another page in colour it printed in greyscale instead.  I have already changed the colour cartridge and downloaded the latest printer driver.

It may be a software problem as when I go to Printer Properties / Advanced there is no tick box shown to select or deselect greyscale which I am sure was there before.  

Anyone got an idea what I should do apart from replacing the printer?

HP Recommended

@Tom4824

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Downloading the Full Feature Software seems to have solved the problem in that I can now print in colour - thank you for your help in this.

I still don't have a grayscale option - should I?

Tom

HP Recommended

@Tom4824

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Could you send me a picture of the options you see when printing?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you get the screenshot below?   It's stopped printing in colour again. 

The screenshot is from Word,  On printing a pdf I have a colour option but it still prints black and white (or grayscale).  

Tom

Screenshot (7).png

HP Recommended

@Tom4824,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Please press Win + R on your keyboard to get the Run Dialog box. 

Type spool and press enter or click on the OK button. 

This will bring up the spool folder. Right on the 'PRINTERS' folder and select properties. 

On the printer properties popup, click on the Security tab. 

Provide Full Control to all the users listed there. Apply the changes. 

Now open devices and printers from the control panel. 

Right-click on your printer and select printer properties. 

On the printer properties popup, select the Security tab and provide full control/access.

Apply the changes and restart the computer and try to print. 

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I made these changes and they did not resolve the problem - still printing grayscale or b&w in all applications when I select colour.  When I go through the Clean Cartridges routine it prints colour ok so it's able to do so.

Is it possible that the printer isn't supported by the latest Windows update?

HP Recommended

@Tom4824

Try creating a New User Account and try printing from that User Account

You can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.