Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with mine....it refuses to print in color no matter where I try to print from ( Microsoft word, google documents, or simply print a web page). I have followed all directions I have found for uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting printer etc etc. the test page prints in color, but nothing else, even when "print in color" IS an option (as it was on google documents), it STILL prints black and white. Color cartridge is hardly used, black ink now less than half. an actual fix would be nice, otherwise this has just become a rather large paperweight!!

HP Recommended

@Tom4824

Since the issue persists after performing all the troubleshooting steps, I suggest we try installing the Windows Built in Driver

First uninstall the printer driver from root level once again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again...I did that, because its been suggested multiple times! If I print a photo by right-clicking and hitting print, with nothing else, it prints color. but as soon as I put said photo within a document, no matter the program (Word, Google docs etc) and EVEN WITH "PRINT IN COLOR" SELECTED when given the option....everything prints black and white

HP Recommended

Demonique

Thanks for this and I suspected I was not the only one with the problem.  

Like yourself I reinstalled the Windows Built In Driver again as suggested with no success.  I can't even print photos in colour.

There must be some solution to this or else a statement that the printer does not work with the latest software update with no fix for this in which case we'll need to buy another printer to print in colour.

If this si the problem I'd like to know this asap.

HP Recommended

@Demonique @Tom4824

Please try adding the printer using an IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.  

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for this and it seems to have worked.  I'll hold off accepting it for a couple of days to make sure it holds - a previous solution based on downloading Full Feature Software reverted at an early stage but hopefully this one works.

HP Recommended

Sure @Tom4824

I'll follow-up with you in a couple of days. 

Thanks! 🙂 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This seems to be still working so I'll verify that the solution using an IP address resolved the

HP Recommended

I had the same problem for a few days now and tried many fix's-but this one worked-I appreciate it as I tried many to no avail with lots of frustration. Using the IP address of the printer restored the color option to the printing. Thank you.

HP Recommended

THIS actually worked.  I have tried absolutely everything!  THANK YOU!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.