Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GosiaT
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY 5540 won't print in colour

I did everything whats on the videos but it still won't show the options for colour printing. My version of windows does have Apps & Features instead of Programs and Features and it won't let me switch to the old view so i had to uninstall the printer through Devices/Printers & Scanners/Remove. 

Please help as it is very annoying not being able to print in colour!

Regards

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,387 2,228
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GosiaT,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see from the post that you are having issues printing in colour from your HP Envy printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridges?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer? Did you try to print a Print Quality Diagnostic report?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, then I would suggest here is to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP ENVY 5540, DeskJet 5570 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality

If the copies comes out fine, then let's try to do a clean install: 

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers (Please select the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the software).

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
GosiaT
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for all the instructions but the printer is completely fine. It prints in colour of my phone, my MacMini and other HP laptop. I bought Microsoft Surface in May this year and installed the printer. Only just recently had to use colour printing on this machine and it doesn't work. There is no option in Printer Properties for Black&White or Colour printing. 

There must some kind of compatibility problem as other machines do have that option and are printing fine.

Kindest regards

Gosia

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GosiaT,

It is great to have you back, your patience is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear you are able to print from other computers and mobile phone, however having issues printing from Microsoft Surface. Don't worry we'll get this thing sorted.

Installing the full feature software, should actually take care of this issue.

Let's try to do a clean install of the printer drivers: 

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939 Please select the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

If the issue persists, you can easily follow these steps here: 

Go to control panel – Printers and Faxes.

Right-click on Envy 5540 and select printing preferences.

Now go to paper quality / layout tab and look for “Print in Grayscale” option.

Uncheck the grayscale option or select the color printing option. Apply and save the settings.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
GosiaT
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I greatly appreciate all your effort.

I did everything that you have told me to do, but the problem is still there. Could it be because the Windows 10 I run is App based? The old Program and Features has been changed to Apps and Features, and therefore, it doesn't have any options to uninstall HP printer software apart from the HP Smart app, that I have installed before but removed as advised. 

So to actually remove the printer i have to go through Devices/Printers & Scanners. By clicking on the name of the printer it shows me 3 options: Open queue; Manage; Remove device. 

The manage button takes me to the further menu where I can access Printing preferences etc. The Printing preferences have 3 tabs: Layout; Paper/Quality; Printing shortcut.

None of these have any option for either Grayscale or colour printing.

I am not a very techy person but this one gives me headache. I even tried printing photos through the HP Smart app, which has an option for changing from Monochrome to colour printing but it gave me an error message: 

"Colour was changed because of a conflict with another printer settings"

which is very odd as this is the only printer intalled on this computer...

Please help....

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GosiaT,

Thank you for getting back to us, 

I see you have tried to follow the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try to uninstall the printer software.

Now let's try to create a new local user and then try to install the printer. Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: http://bit.ly/2uu1UNm       

Now, login to the new account and then try to install the printer and check. 

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jlfmullin
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem now that we haveWindows 10.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.... no luck.  Please help.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,310 6,297 457 500
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jlfmullin, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below in sequence to resolve the issue-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Now, try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
50Mike
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 5540 PRINTER WILL NOT PRINT IN COLOUR. IF I MAKE A COPY OR SEND A FILE FROM MY PHONE IT PRINTS IN COLOUR.

I have read through a lot of these community items and there seem to be a lot of people with the same problem. I think I have resolved my problem though. It is about having the Duplexing Unit installed. Go to Settings, Printers and Scanners, Look for your printer and click on it. Open Manage, Printer Properties, Device Settings. Automatic Duplexing Unit may say Not Installed. This needs to be installed. Click on Photo Tray or Automatic Configuration. This should install the Duplexing Unit.
I did all this and my printer now behaves as it should.
Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation