Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Prn ENVY 5544
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printing a booklet Duplex on a single A4. (Booklet)   Comprises 28 pages. No colour and flip on long edge.   The pages print both sides Ok but the second time it comes out it's upside down.  Never had this problem before !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @derekmiles,

To print on both sides of the page (Windows)
1. Load paper in the input tray. For more information, see Load paper.
2. From your software, select Print.
3. Make sure your printer is selected.
4. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup,
Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

NOTE: To set print settings for all print jobs, make the changes in the HP software. For more
information on the HP software, see Printer management tools.

5. On the Printing Shortcut tab, select the Two-sided (Duplex) Printing shortcut.
6. If you want to change other print settings, click the other tabs. For more printing tips, see Tips for
successful printing.

NOTE: The printer supports automatic two-sided printing of A4, Letter, Executive, and JIS B5 paper
sizes.

NOTE: If you change the paper size, be sure to load the correct paper in the input tray and set the
paper size on the printer control panel.

7. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
8. Click Print or OK to begin printing.

If you have not installed the full feature software, please install the full feature software first: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

You may go through this support document for - HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @derekmiles,

To print on both sides of the page (Windows)
1. Load paper in the input tray. For more information, see Load paper.
2. From your software, select Print.
3. Make sure your printer is selected.
4. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.

Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup,
Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

NOTE: To set print settings for all print jobs, make the changes in the HP software. For more
information on the HP software, see Printer management tools.

5. On the Printing Shortcut tab, select the Two-sided (Duplex) Printing shortcut.
6. If you want to change other print settings, click the other tabs. For more printing tips, see Tips for
successful printing.

NOTE: The printer supports automatic two-sided printing of A4, Letter, Executive, and JIS B5 paper
sizes.

NOTE: If you change the paper size, be sure to load the correct paper in the input tray and set the
paper size on the printer control panel.

7. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
8. Click Print or OK to begin printing.

If you have not installed the full feature software, please install the full feature software first: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

You may go through this support document for - HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you indeed for being so informative. I did manage to locate my problem which was caused by my inability to not fully understanding some of the expressions used in the help pages.  Having read all the reply and advice given, I am certain that others will benefit from your writings.  Thank you again.Derek Miles.

HP Recommended

@derekmiles,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.