Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5644
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have bought a HP ENVY 5644 and have a serious problem.

At home, we have a wireless router (OvisLink) providing internet access for the whole family :

my PC, my wife's tablet, my son's tablet, 3 mobile phones.

All work fine until HP arrived.

Let describe the initial environment :

I am at my PC, connected by cable to the router.

Router IP is 192,168.2.1 and my PC has a DHCP-provide IP = 192.168.2.110

I start a "ping 192.168.2.1 -t" command from the PC - it is running forever displaying the availability if the router.

Now, I power on the printer and activate the wireless connection.

It scans the ether and comes up with some wireless networks SSID's that are available.

I select the mine, and before entering the password, the "ping" command from the PC to the router crashes.

I stop the HP's wireless and the "ping" comes back in a minute.

This behaviour repeats every time I activate the HP's wireless.

Can someone provide a clue on what is happening ?

I would like to know how does the HP printer do to "kill" my router, both wireless and cable.

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To turn off Wirelesws direct, you read your User Guide for instructions.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-5600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6583033/model/6658162/m...

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch (Settings).
2. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is Off, touch Wi-Fi Direct and then switch it on

Turn it off.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try this.  In the router set your starting DHCP address to 192.168.2.100 and the ending address to 192.168.2.150.

Now set a static IP in the printer to 192.168.2.10.

Now try.

HP Recommended

This is a test I have already done, with incredibly similar values :

*) DHCP Client Range 192.168.2.110 .. 192.168.2.200

*) Printer IP = 192.168.2.10

The result ? The same - router's TCP/IP, both wifi and cable (???), gets crashed by HP printer "wifi direct" server.

HP Recommended

Is Wireless Direct turned on in the printer???  It must be off if using a router.  Please verify.

HP Recommended

I am pretty sure "wireless direct" is active.

2 main reasons :

a) someone cashes router's wifi

b) I did not stop it

So, my quetion now becomes :  what is the procedure to stop "wireless direct" ?

THANKS A LOT, man !

Sebastian.

PD.- I got the feeling that wireless direct was causing the trouble, because of the symptoms :

I am trying to login into my home's wifi, and before password is entered, the TCP/IP stops working.

If I stay quiet, the PC to router tcp/ip does not work for 2 minutes,

then starts working for a minute more or less, then stops working again.

It is like there is a timeout sequence of someone (wireless direct) to scan for clients.

As far as I understand, wireless direct is some kind of router service, am I right ?

HP Recommended

To turn off Wirelesws direct, you read your User Guide for instructions.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-5600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6583033/model/6658162/m...

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch (Settings).
2. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is Off, touch Wi-Fi Direct and then switch it on

Turn it off.

HP Recommended

I am using

>>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04421686

and I shall try tonite if it works,

but all looks fine to me.

Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.