Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hi:

Thank you for your reply.
I would be happy to talk with a "real" engineer (I am a physicist), not someone who just pushes papers (Reqs & Specs).

If you or anyone else follows my name in the HP Support Forums regarding the HP ENVY 5660 AIO printer, and the HP 6520/6525 Photosmart AIO printer, they will find a wealth of meticulously detailed information (including screen-snapshots , Test Reports, etc.) describing many problems with HP's inkjet printers. I did not have these problems with my first HP inkjet printer, the HP Photosmart 6280, which was the predecessor to the Photosmart 6520/6525.

Side note:
I had an HP 4M LaserJet printer that lasted me 20 years ! And I can tell you that the printers made today are not made to last, which was very apparent from the Photosmart 6520/6525 that I had that lasted just over two years. It died due to electromechanical failure driving the paper-loader mechanism.

The 6280 was a real workhorse and lasted me for 6 years at which time HP changed the update to the printer driver, and messed things up where you could no longer scan. I was not the only one who complained about this problem, but HP never fixed it, causing folks to upgrade to a new printer model.

Then all of the problems started with the blank "white line" problems, spaced 14 mm apart, that I previously described. So, these problems have been around for over 4 years, and HP fails to fix them. Here's the real kicker. If you read HP's docs (printer manuals), you will see the white line problem that I am describing, but their image of the fixed problem still shows the problem. In other words, the problem isn't fixed !!!

Even their high-end AIO inkjet printers that are sold at Staples, Best Buy, Microcenter, ... have these problems. I have tested them in the various stores.

In addition, HP has removed some paper sizes and formats from what you can select when you print. In order to print on some papers sizes that used to be available for photos (e.g., 4"x6" tab) you must trick the printer into thinking it is loading a different type of paper, by selecting a paper type/size you aren't using, then click print. Very reported this problem in the past on the HP Support Forums.

It is more than apparent that HPs hardware and software engineers are not what they used to be, or these issues woukd gace been wrung-out and resolved during acceptance-testing and integration-testing of the software/firmware with the hardware.

HP has a problem ... a Huge Problem.

Feel free to contact me.
I would be more than happy to help if HP would listen to me, keep me in the loop, and take my comments seriously, or better yet, compensate me for me time, advice, and expertise !
HP Recommended
Thank you for Monitoring and Moderating the HP Support Forums !

DaleBr
HP Recommended
Hi Duane;

A few minutes ago, I sent a detailed private email message to to person at the link he provided me with, regarding my problems with the HP inkjet printers.

Thank you for your help !

DaleBr
HP Recommended
I too have same problem with Envoy 5660..funny as I replaced other HP as it was doing same thing and I assumed it had its day. It did not do this originally. Now I replaced and did not test until I returned from several business trips. Now I see it is doing same horizontal thing but even worse. Why the heck has HP taken this long to respond? Why do you need to hear from what seems to be from my research on Google thousands of similar cases announced before you actually even start to 'bring it to a team'. NO....it should be a response of...we apologize for all the time and energy our product had caused you with what seems to be a malfunction of some kind that we are now going to work on day and night to make sure we do not loose hundreds and thousands of customers by word of mouth!!! We are a society that if a company shows they do not care we now voice it and by end of week over several million can be aware of huge defects a company has.
HP shape up or ship out and stop dancing around a huge problem. Address it and fix it...we will respect you for it and stick with you. Otherwise...the alternative...which I have addressed. Post your updates for your temp. Loyal customers.
HP Recommended
Thank you for supporting my feedback to HP.
Their inkjet printers have problems that still aren’t fixed. Don’t yet know if their laser printers are having problems of their own, since their printing technology is different from that of inkjet printers.

DaleBr
HP Recommended
Thank you,
But I still haven’t received a call from a real Engineer at HP (or anyone else to discuss their inkjet printer problems with). It appears to me that they are not interested in solving their printer problems to support their customers, and continue to sell defective printing technology. Sad !
HP Recommended

Hi all - I found this thread because I had the same horozontal stripes problem.  They were caused by a clogged ink cartridge.

I fixed it alternating between wiping the print head with a qtip and running the first step of the clean cartridge cycle in the printer setup menu (setup->printer maitenance->clean cartridges) until the lines dissapeared.  

HP Recommended
Thanx for you feedback.

I’m glad it worked for you, but the problem still exists ... even with new cartridges from HP’s InstantInk program. The printer is supposed to be self-cleaning as it rests its print cartridges which have the spray head but into them, into a default position that is supposed to prevent them from drying out and clogging up. Again, a design flaw. And why is it only the one or two rows of spray jets (if that is the problem) that is affected. The blank lines are consistently separated by exactly 14mm.
I think there problem is a deeper problem.
HP Recommended

i followed all instructions and still there is a horizontal white line when I print.  I have replaced the ink cartridge too.  i hate this product.

HP Recommended

There appears to be no solution to this problem other than to replace the printer.  It is not only this model HP printer.  From what I see, the problem exists for all of their inkjet printers.

I replaced my ENVY 5660 with an ENVY 7155.  It is a tad better ... better drying ink ... but still has the same striping problems.  I believe that all of their inkjet printers (though different models) have the same internal “print engine”, thus, the same problems. A laser printer has a different type of print engine, thus should not have these problems ... though they may have problems characteristic to their print engine.  So far, I am happy with my LaserJet M477 fdw, though Laser Printers can’t print photos as vividly as an inkjet printer or use glossy paper ... its fusing unit will melt the glossy finish due to heat from the print engine, and damage it.

DaleBr
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.