Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640
OS X

Hi

I have recently bought this printer and found it has a high pitch noise coming from it constantly, the only time it stops is when I pull the power cord.  I have read online that a number of other people have reported this!

What is the resolution please as I do not want to return to my store to end up with the same issue again on a replacment!

Regards

Dave

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hey @DaveGorman ,

You can return the printer and get a new one and if you get the same issue you can (or you can right now before taking it back) call HP Technical Phone Support. They will help you with all OOB (out of box) issues.

If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

HP printers generally have a 1 year warranty from their purchase date, you can verify the warranty using the following link if you would like; warranty check.

I hope this helps. Happy new year!

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have just got a replacement one from the shop and it has the sale fault!!!!  What is HP resolution please!

HP Recommended

I have exaclty the same problem on a brand new ENVY 7640. Constant high-pitched noise that drives me nuts. I unplug it hwen not using--seems to be the only solution.

HP Recommended

Not very impressive though is it?

The lack of response from HP on this post is even worse!!!!

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with the same model - searching online it seems to be a common complaint. Don't know for sure, but my guess is that HP will actually need to do a firmware release to fix this - assuming they can figure out how to 😛

HP Recommended

Very unusual. 

Do you have the printer connected to a power strip or UPS?  Sometimes this can cause a sound that appears to be coming from the printer.

Can you determine where the sound appears to be coming from on the printer (ie. top, front, back, etc?)

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I also have this horrible high pitch sound coming from the printer whenever connected to the wall plug. I returned the first one and got a new replacement, same exact problem!! Very annoying, cannot have the printer connected when I'm working at the office... Considering returning this printer and get something else...

HP Recommended

Yes, this is definitely sounding like an issue with the Power Supply on the Envy 7640, especially if the sound is coming from the back of the printer.    I recommend calling HP and having them send out a replacement.  

The power supply is internal; however, it is customer replaceable by removing the cover plate (1 phillips screw) and pulling the power supply out. Then plug in the replacement and replace the cover plate and screw.

If you have HP send  you a replacement and it solves it, please reply back and let us know!!

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.