Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

My HP ENVY 7640 printer (wireless) is constantly going offline. My connection with the router is there. My Network Configuration page says my network status is Ready and I'm connected to the Internet. I used to be able to cut off the router and the printer, then restart and it would be fine for a little while. Now that no longer works. When I turn the printer on, it's offline again. I've also cut off the computer and rebooted. Still offline. In troubleshooting I've gotten as far as entering my IP Address in my browser. I get nothing from that. There are also instructions about changing the network name but I don't understand the instructions. So, here I am, tossing up a Hail Mary. What do I need to do to get this problem corrected once and for all? Please make the instructions simple. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use the following tips/instructions to fix:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you. The instructions were easier to follow than those I had seen previously. But the problem persists. I made it as far as Step 5: Manual Steps to Solve Problem. Everything checked out fine until I tried making a manual connection. The first time I entered the IP address generated by my report, I was able to make the manual changes to IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. Clicked Apply and I received an Error Report. When I generated another report off of my printer and typed the new IP address into my browser I got "The Connection Has Timed Out." Tried a different browser and couldn't get the info I needed there. So I'm now stuck at Step 5 and my printer is still offline, although connected to the internet and my computer.

HP Recommended

My HP ENVY 7640 used to go off line, now it stays offline. Unable to print anything for last two days. I'm stuck at Step 5 in resolving the problem. See below:

Based on the instructions I was given, I made it as far as Step 5: Manual Steps to Solve Problem. Everything checked out fine until I tried making a manual connection. The first time I entered the IP address generated by my report, I was able to make the manual changes to IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. I clicked Apply and I received an Error Report. When I generated another report off of my printer and typed the new IP address into my browser I got "The Connection Has Timed Out." I tried a different browser and couldn't get the info I needed there. So I'm now stuck at Step 5 and my printer is still offline. I have generated yet another configuration page and this one says that in addition to being off line I now have no internet connection (which I had previously) despite rebooting. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

I am ending Day 4 of my HP ENVY 7640 (wireless) being offline. Nothing I have tried so far has corrected the problem. My latest effort involved my uninstalling the software, then re-installing it. Once again I hit a snag with the IP Address. When I try to make a connection using the IP Address that is on the printer-- 192.168.223,1--the connection fails. What could be the problem with the IP Address?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue and I have a wired connection.  It seems to co-incide with the printer going to sleep (eco mode setting). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.