Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7858
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1 out of 20 pages prints ok, the rest have lines and are missing sections. I have reset the printer, cleaned it... and changed the ink.... this is a new printer... probably printed 100 pages total since buying it, and it's never worked properly... maybe only in the begining the first month or so.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@NotaHappy

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Have you tried making a Standalone copy and check if you still have the same issue?
  • Have you tried printing different documents like PDF, Word, Emails, and check?

Power resetting the printer, updating the printer firmware and may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, remove the ink cartridges, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait at least 60 seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Step 3: Download and run HP Diagnostic tool

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to automatically identify and resolve the issue.

Try to Print.

Step 4: Align the cartridges

On the printer control panel, Go to Setup > Printer Maintenance > Align Cartridges.

Proceed to the next step if the issue persists.

Step 5: Clean uninstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Step 6: Click here to download HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried everything and the printing is just getting worse. I have lost all hope in this printer... is it possible that this was a defected printer? There is literally no reason why this printer should not be working. We have literally used it less than 10-15 times printing standard things.

HP Recommended

Hi @NotaHappy

Appreciate you trying the steps. This could be a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP ENVY Photo 7858 irratic inconsistent printing. Missing sections. Horizontal lines

HP Recommended

@Arnie6

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Follow this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-photo-7800-all-in-one-printer-series/9073159/model/1649... for Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I'm trying to set up this brand-new printer and can't get through the initialization process.  After shooting out @30 mostly blank pages, the printer tells me to load plain paper.  I've gone through the reloading process about 5 times and I am totally frustrated.  How do I get past this point?

HP Recommended

@BJF2,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your printer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.