Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1112
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I've been trying to install the driver for this printer. I downloaded the HP Easy Start app, but it keeps hanging and not installing anything. I've been able to get to the page where you select what software you want installed; then it prompts me for my password, I enter it and hit "OK." But then nothing happens. It stays on the same page with the buttons greyed out and doesn't proceed no matter how long I wait for it.

What should I do?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @hayleys – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having issues while installing the printer to the MAC. Try the steps listed below to try and fix the issue:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid it didn't work. I'm able to add the printer, but when I go to print something nothing happens. The job shows up in the printer's queue and then almost immediately disppears without having printed anything.

HP Recommended

Hello, @hayleys

Appreciate your efforts so far. It looks like an issue with the MAC disk permissions. Try the below-mentioned steps.

• Follow this document to completely uninstall the printer software: http://hp.care/2cKwLyC
  • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”. Close the window.
  • Now access the Disk Utility by pressing “Command+Space” to open Spotlight search, type ”Disk Utility”, and press Enter. You can also click the Launchpad icon on your dock, click the “Other” folder, and click Disk Utility.
  • Select your Mac’s system partition — generally “Macintosh HD”. Click the “Verify Disk Permissions” button and wait till the process is completed.
  • Now click Repair Disk Permissions to check for problems and automatically fix them.
  • Restart your MAC and then click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip to download and install the printer.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks again for the help. I was able to follow your directions but I'm afraid it didn't fix it; I'm still getting the same error from before where after inputting my password it fails to do anything. I tried adding the printer again from the system preferences menu but it also has the same problem from before.

HP Recommended

Hello, @hayleys

I guess the system is asking for the administrator user name, password. Can you try to install a different program and check if that is working well? This will help us isolate the issue further.

Also, if possible, try to change the system password and then try again to add the printer from the system preference window.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

None of the above "resolutions" are working for me either! The Easy Start setup appears to be asking us for "the device's" username and password. So what "DEVICE" is it speaking of? Also, it is not my Apple WiFi router username and password, either! It IS NOT my system admin username and password! If your printers have a username and password embedded then this is news to me. I never had this issue when I first set up the HP wireless printer with the old software. PLEASE ADVISE! What's the point of having software or a wireless printer that will not work properly? Frustrated beyond belief! I guess I will cancel my ink subscription and go buy another printer that is NOT HP! 

HP Recommended

I agree.  This is frustrating beyond belief.  I cannot understand how HP is ignoring this problem with their software.

Capable person unable to use software that will not perform on MAC to setup HP Deskjet 3632.  Keeps asking for a Username and Password of a "Device" does not tell you what device it is asking for, and admin password for MAC does not even suffice.

You guys at HP need to wake up.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem after following all of those steps. Did you guys find a fix, what a waste of money buying a HP printer I can't print from..... I brought 2 x extra ink too!

HP Recommended

Similar problem for me too.  Easy start does not download printer drivers, only easy scan, but it won't let me set it up.  Also, my printer is on the LAN so why do we have to use AirPrint.

As far as I can see, there is no way to contact HP,  only a rather useless FAQ system.  Just not good enough HP.  I'm getting to the point of junking HP altogether and buy another all in one.

Is there anyone from HP reading this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.