Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and older

New question, same problem.  I have an ENVY HP 4520. The paper tray 'open' signal is on & locking the function of the printer. This is my second time to have this occur. The Paper tray has two poorly designed (vulnerable to breakage) plastic pieces that project from the back end of the paper try into slots that function to signal that the paper tray is fully engaged (closed) into the back of the printer. I now have had my second tray fail because the plastic does not hold up to the normal sliding in & out of the holes in the back of the printer.   I am not sure what gets in its way or causes them to break. When these pieces break off, the sensors in the printer send the signal that the tray is not closed, even tho the tray is fully closed.

I can't find any place to get spare paper trays that have the stupid little, breakable projections that would clear the open signal. I had to buy a new printer last time. I took the tray out of the new printer, slid it into the old printer & off I went. I have been extremely careful with the replacement tray, but a family member has now broken off one of the tray pieces in normal use of the tray.

All I want to do is find a way to either order a new tray or just turn off, or bypass the back of the tray snafu which is keeping my printer idle.  BTW. Anybody want a spare 4520 with a broken tray? I still have a new 4520 in the box.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Fletchfile

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I believe you have to call your regional HP Support to order a replacement paper tray. I've send you a private message with instructions on how to contact your regional HP Support. Could you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and have wasted at least three hours on the HP site and  transferred 4 times when I called just to be sent a url that didn’t work in the first place.  My  Envy 4520 is still under warranty.  What is up with these two little projectiles? I picked my printer up to look underneath since I kept getting the same error and they were laying there. Help!

HP Recommended

@Ktkatt

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.
Could you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.  Where can I buy a replacement tray?

HP Recommended

@ycwbhgy

Welcome to the HP Community

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

Make sure you select the Country and Region.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem!!! Where can I buy a new paper tray from? One of those flimsy plastic things has snapped off and all it's saying is LOAD PAPER tray when it's LOADED *pulls hair out* 

HP Recommended

Did you get to buy a replacement tray? 

HP Recommended

@Suse77

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The paper tray on this printer is not replaceable. The printer has to be serviced. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it is a hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.