Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 1909. I have a HP Envy 4520 and a HP Officejet Pro 8600 using a USB connection. I can not print a TEST PAGE. (Please note under Windows 10, Build 1903 my printers functioned properly.)

Using the HP CDs I reinstalled the software for both printers. Tried a Windows PRINT TEST PAGE for both, both failed. Then, using HP Print and Scan Doctor, I ‘clicked’ on the Fix Printing for both printers, then Test Print. Neither printer would print out a Windows Test Page. I then ‘clicked’ on No Print and the Doctor asked me to perform an HP Internal Test Page. That worked perfectly for both printers.

For some reason the Windows 10, Build 1909 is not communicating with the printers.

Then I uninstalled all the software for both printers, purged the registry of any references to HP Envy and HP Officejet, and performed a ‘clean boot’, installed both printers again, same results,. I could not print a Windows Test Page.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@dnessun

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good Morning Betty,

As you suggested I followed your instructions. My HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 indicates that I do not have an IPv4 address. The printer’s screen indicates: IP: No Link. I am still unable to print.

I forgot to mention in my last missive to you that my HP Envy 4520 also does not print. With the Envy I also installed and uninstalled the software a number of times.

As I have mentioned before I can print an HP internal Test Page with both printers. I cannot print a Windows 10 PRO, 64 Bit Test Page with either unit. I am beginning to suspect that this might have something to do with the Spooler file (?). Just saying.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

DNessun

HP Recommended

@dnessun

I understand your concerns.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor 

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues.  

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/in-en/topic/printscandoctor 

Delete job files and restart 

Reset your printing environment, delete print job files manually, and then restart both the computer and the printer. 

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet. 

2. In Windows, search for and open Services. 

3. In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop. 

1. After the service stops, close the Services window. 

2. In Windows, search for and open C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS. 

3. Delete all files in the PRINTERS folder. 

4. Shut down your computer. 

5. Connect the printer power cord to the power outlet, and then turn on the printer. 

6. Turn on the computer, and then try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step. 

Set up Manual IP 

please set a manual IP address and manual DNS servers for the printer. 

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers. 

Please  perform the Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Good Morning Praveen 196,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried your method in the past for my HP Officejet Pro 8600 and my HP ENVY 4520 printers. I even went one step further and purged the registry of all references to both printers. Because I live in a huge apartment complex, in all the years that I have owned my HP Officejet (Windows 7 and 10), I have never setup the Officejet printer for Wi-Fi printing. Too risky. As it is I am not a fan of Wi-Fi – too invasive of one’s privacy.

This problem all started when I updated my Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit to BUILD 1909.

The HP Print and Scan Doctor tells me I have a ‘printing problem’ and then it tells me to uninstall and reinstall the HP software. Go figure. I still think it has something to do with Microsoft’s ‘spooler’ file.

I will give your method a try this weekend.

Tune in at eleven for updates.

Sincerely yours,

Dnessun

HP Recommended

@dnessun

Thank you for the update.

Please try the previous post steps and if the issue still persists, perform the below steps.

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below: 

  

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions. 

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated. 

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane. 

  

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Good Morning Praveen,

Many thanks for the additional suggestion.

I will give it the 'ol' college try'.

Sincerely yours,

Dnessun

HP Recommended

@dnessun

Thank you for the update.

If the issue still persists, please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Good Morning Praveen,

An Hp Envy 4520 and HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer update.

I tried everything you suggested and then some on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Build 1909 OS. Sorry to say I was unsuccessful. I swapped out my dysfunctional Windows 10 hard drive for my good, old reliable Windows 7 Pro hard drive. Both printers worked perfectly.

Then I came up with the idea that maybe the spollsv.exe might be corrupted. So I copied that file from my Windows 10 HP Pavilion Laptop. Tried to copy to the Windows 10\System32 folder but that’s a no-no. I forgot System32 has its own firewall and will not tolerate outside interference.

Right now I am leaning towards just using Windows 7 Pro and the heck with Windows 10 Pro. Every time Windows 10 has a cumulative update or a new build something else goes wrong. It reminded me of the definition of a dromedary: A dromedary is a camel built by committee. That’s Windows 10.

I included a Spoolsv Log.

Many thanks for all your input.

Sincerely yours,

Dnessun

WINDOWS 10 SPOOLSV LOG 05-20-2020

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++) Module File Name: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (765440 bytes)

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++)     Command Line: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++)     File Version: 10.0.18362.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++)       Process ID: [4164]

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++)         Built on: Mar 9 2015 14:44:19

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (++)    Log File Name: <c:\windows\temp\hp\atstatus\spoolsv.log>

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (->) DllMain

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (I0)   HP Discovery Port Monitor - Attached

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (<-) DllMain

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (->) NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMInitializePrintMonitor2

2020/05/20 09:14:51 [4164] {tid: 0x0FEC} (<-) NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMInitializePrintMonitor2

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (->) NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMShutdown

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (<-) NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMShutdown

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (->) DllMain

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (I0)   HP Discovery Port Monitor - Detach

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (->)   NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMShutdown

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (<-)   NGDiscoPM::DiscoPMShutdown

2020/05/20 09:40:47 [4164] {tid: 0x1024} (<-) DllMain

HP Recommended

@dnessun

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you perform the system reset on your Windows 10 operating system then try to install the drivers and check.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.