Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 65XXHP ENVY 4520 al in one printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i upgraded from windows 7 to 10

1) the printer is set as default in control panel but it shows the printer as not connected 

2) when i go to windows 10 settings it shows the printer as not connected.

3) Device manager shows No drivers are installed for this device and Device ROOT\PRINTER\0000 requires further installation.

4) the printer also appears in imaging devices showing drivers installed

5) finally the printer works

I have no idea what is going on help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@christos11 

Hello,

In order to palliate this incident, please follow the following procedure:
1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP ENVY 4520 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP ENVY 4520 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

• On the keyboard, tap the Windows and R keys simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  • Type net stop spooler, then press OK.
  • Rename the file.
  • Type net start spooler, then tap OK.

5. Launch a new installation of the printer with the HP ENVY 4520 series Full Software and Drivers.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,😎

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@christos11 

Hello,

In order to palliate this incident, please follow the following procedure:
1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP ENVY 4520 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP ENVY 4520 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

• On the keyboard, tap the Windows and R keys simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  • Type net stop spooler, then press OK.
  • Rename the file.
  • Type net start spooler, then tap OK.

5. Launch a new installation of the printer with the HP ENVY 4520 series Full Software and Drivers.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,😎

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Its always advised to reinstall the printer software when one upgrades the OS.

Since you are able to print successfully now, it seems to look good. But in case if you have issues while printing, i'd suggest you to uninstall the existing printer software. Restart the PC and then use the below url to download and install the printer software.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers 

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

will try this if things go wrong as suggested

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.