Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up until 2 days ago, my HP Envy 4520 worked fine with auto duplex printing, by drawing the paper back in and printing the reverse side without my intervention.  Now everytime I try to do that, it goes to a manual method and I have to re-load the paper in the supply tray and press continue to print the reverse.  I have tried the device setting "fix" of changing the Auto Duplex Unit to Installed, but when I test it, It still requires me to re-insert the paper and click continue.  Paradoxically, my wife can

Auto Duplex from her iPad, but I cannot do it from MS Word on my Win 10 (64 bit) laptop with all updates installed.   I suspect that something in one of the Windows updates has caused this problem.  I have deleted the printer and re-installed it from

the latest driver listed in HP Support, that did not make it work correctly.  The printer is set up on my local network for a wireless connection.  The printer is connected via a WSD port. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mcfawcett

Greetings!

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, you are unable to auto-duplex.

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps and isolating the issue. Don't worry, I'm here to help.

This seems to be an issue with the printer drivers. I'd suggest we try a root level re-install. Let's get straight into this -

Step 1 Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor from here.

Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers -
1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type 
and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mcfawcett

Greetings!

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, you are unable to auto-duplex.

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps and isolating the issue. Don't worry, I'm here to help.

This seems to be an issue with the printer drivers. I'd suggest we try a root level re-install. Let's get straight into this -

Step 1 Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor from here.

Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers -
1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type 
and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the HP Print Doctor and clicked fix printing problems.  It said that it installed some updates.  I ran a test print

and it looks great.  I went to MS Word 2010 and tried printing a basic two page test document.  It auto duplexed 

correctly, without any intervention on my part.  I need to give it some time and try printing some other documents.

I did check the printer properties on the Envy 4520 printer and Device Settings did indicate that the Auto Duplex

Unit as Installed.  Are we finished?  I hate to delete the driver since it seems to be working correctly now.  I just test

printed another two page document and again the auto duplex worked.  Hopefully the setting will stay fixed.  I don't 

understand why the HP Print Doctor did not work the two times I used it before posting to the support community, 

but am pleased to have it fixed now.  Thanks very much for your assistance.  I will consider the issue fixed for now. 

HP Recommended

@mcfawcett

Happy to hear that 🙂 I truly appreciate your time and patience in getting this resolved.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem I have reinstalled all drivers on HP4524 and still cant get auto duplex when set, it was working until recently but not anymore. all set to auto but no luck help please

HP Recommended

Hi, in the end, I had to install drivers for the HP 7640, and that was the only thing that worked. Make sure you fully unistall all other drivers.

HP Recommended

The answer-solution given by Asmita6658 is not correct.

Printer Driver version 36.0, from the CD included with the printer, and still available as CD order, does duplexing.

Printer Driver version 40.11, available as Webpack 1122, does not do duplexing. In fact it seems to incorrectly detect the installed options.

see also https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-4524-latest-driver-is-faulty/m-p/7359526

On Mac OS X, Easy Web Install does duplexing correctly.

The printer driver for HP 7640, mentioned above, did not work out-of-the-box. It did not recognize the HP 4520 series (HP ENVY 4524), at least not without modification of the .inf file, probably, which I could have done, but did not attempt. It would be version 40.13, looking promisingly.

HP Recommended

This was a horror show, but just got it working and wanted to share it with anyone who's still getting this issue.

We changed from using WSD to using IP instead, and that meant it could detect the duplex unit.

HP Recommended

Was not successful using the above;  Printer is listed as on a network.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@LinusJEvers

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.