Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried everything to fix my HP Envy 4520 All-in-one printer. The pages are blank whenever I print them. I've checked the ink levels and they're completely fine, I've taken the cartriges out and cleaned around them as well as even on the place where the ink comes out (it was a last resort). Still, the printer keeps printing blank pages. I use a Windows 10 HP computer and the computer is linked to the printer through hotspot or I've tried Wifi-Direct. Any help is appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@Cubigon,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing blank pages from your HP Envy printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, then I would suggest here is to follow all the steps suggested in the support document for -  HP Printers - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues  (This document includes the steps which are suggested for color or black not printing).

If the copy comes out fine, then it looks like an issue with the print drivers. Hence, I would suggest you perform a clean install to get the printer connected to your PC. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link :  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/54...  to download and install the latest printer software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Restart the PC once done and then try to print.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to update the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check the latest firmware update: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/54... Once done, restart the printer.

Or you can directly update the printer firmware from the printer control panel. For more details on how to do that, Click here: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The ink cartriges are fine indicated by the printer, the printer was originally plugged into a surge protector but when I switched to a wall outlet the problem is still occurring. The cartriges are also HP Ink so they are genuine cartiges. My friend had bought this printer but was never using it so it sat and hadn't been used. Now, I'm trying to use it and it doesn't want to print anything.

I've tried hard resetting the printer and printing a test page, and the same problem is happening. I also tried copying a page and the copied page came out blank so I'm assuming it's a printer issue rather than a computer issue. The drivers for the printer are up to date on my computer. 

I'm able to directly connect the printer to a hotspot as well as my computer but it doesn't change the fact that the printer keeps printing blank pages. If there's any other solutions out there please inform me.

HP Recommended

@Cubigon,

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have a envy 4250 all in one printer, right now my printer is printing blanks and my ink cartridge are full. I tried a hard reset by removing the cartrdige, unplugging it, waited 2-3 mintued and turned it back on but it still doesnt work. 

HP Recommended

@Nlouie413

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand your HP ENVY 4520 printer is not printing and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Does the printer print when you copy documents?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Could you also print a print quality test page and let me know the results. In order to print the report:

1.) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2.) Touch Tools.

3.) Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After I printed the quality report it started working but now there’s a lot of smudges on some letters and lines 

HP Recommended

@Nlouie413

Power resetting the printer and performing an automated cartridge cleaning may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

7) Touch Tools.

😎 Swipe up on the display, and then touch Clean Page Smears.

9) Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

10) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.

11) Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and had to replace the cartridges. Apparently if they've been sitting for a while they stop working.

HP Recommended

I have same problem. Hp 4520 printing blank pages. I did all which were suggested in the reply but doesn’t work. Actually I guess I printed only few pages from the time I bought it. It stopped printing since a year now and  I really did not get time to post this question. Any help here?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.